Saturday, April 4, 2009

Fun with a poncho






At first, AhD was little wary of the poncho, even though he knew it was me inside of that great yellow thing. I flapped it around quite a bit, but it didn't take long for him to come over to see if I had anything for him to eat.






Ian, Number 4 Son, wanted to try the poncho next, and immediately AhD liked this game even better. I think I should be jealous! Look at the reception HE gets from my beloved pony!



Then Ian put the poncho on AhD's back. The wind was flapping it around, and it blew off. AhD seemed somewhat on Alert, but also curious. He sniffed the poncho,


stepped on it and bit it.

Then he proceded to pick it up and wave it around.
Ian and I got the giggles! Denise, this "contest" is just tooo much fun. Earlier today, after AhD took a trailer ride to the vets for his yearly shots/Coggins, I led him out back where my husband was cutting down some dead trees and burning them up with a big bonfire. AhD seemed more nervous about meeting my brother out there than he was of either the bonfire or the noisy chain saw. I had him within 10' of an operating chainsaw, and it didn't seem to bother him much. I also led AhD down the road a small ways when I spied my neighbor using the snowblower attachment on his tractor to get rid of an icy snowbank. That was scarier, and was awarded several snorts and sidesteps, but I just kept pretending it was no big deal, so AhD got the hang of it quickly. As soon as we build up enough milk bottles, I'm going to string some together for an obstacle. That proved to be our scariest one last year. How are you all making out for the April mini-contest?

4 comments:

  1. That is SO great, Susan!! I think it's great that you guys are seeking out as many new and different obstacles as you can find. The contest sort of puts a twist on things - instead of avoiding them, you are trying to FIND them! What a brave group of people we have this year! Well, they were brave last year too, but fun to see so much going on.....loved the pics too!

    And I agree -- you can NEVER post too many photos. I like how you guys make them smaller and put the text around and if you want to see a larger image you just click on it. That's nice for downloading time.

    ps.. Reese's scariest obstacle might be Tom dragging the garbage cans on the pavement from the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I don't see any snow around your place, did you guys get a hot spell or what?????
    Sure looks like you are haveing agood time with your horse and being very productive. Good luck with all.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    You have shared so many great ideas. May I borrow them? The poncho is a really neat idea and it sounds like a great family fun day, too!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure, Angie, borrow away! I'm sure I borrowed the idea from someone else anyway. Just be sure that you are ready to wash the poncho. Mine is now covered in horse poop and mud. Have you seen the list of Obstacles on the Calmer, Smarter, Braver Horse Obstacle Course? It's published in Curly Horse Country. Tons of good ideas there.

    ReplyDelete