Thursday, April 9, 2009


Happy Easter everyone. It has been beautiful around here after our blizzard last week. Here in the southeast part of the state, we have been lucky. The west and the north have been hit with 15 to 36 inches of snow in a two week time period.


We had the South Dakota Horse Fair in Sioux Falls March 20 through 22, and Whinny and I had a great time. I got to speak with a lot of different people that do know about this wonderful breed. One gentleman has been training mustangs that he gets from the BLM and he wishes he had kept the curly ones. He said he gets about 1 curly mustang out of 50. Another gentleman is interested in the ancestry of the curly horse and he has sent me one article from 1969 from the True West magazine titled "Did Russia Introduce the Horse?" It has some really nice pictures of the Damele's horses in Nevada.


When Whinny and I went in the ring, she wasn't to happy being alone so Saturday wasn't the greatest but Sunday was much better. The previous riding I have been doing with her has helped. If it wasn't for the RAC program, I wouldn't have been riding yet. Now, with April, I can work on some of the things that were spooking her out in the ring. I could have claimed the starter gun also as the Horse Fair had a demonstration of mounted shooting going on both days. Whinny took it better than some of the other horses. Some of the others were climbing the walls of their stalls and others were pacing and rearing. Whinny wasn't happy, but she just stood at the back of her stall and waited for it to end.
I hope everyone else has a great horse fair if yours isn't over yet. I have been watching and it looks like other states have theirs even earlier than ours.
Happy riding - Robin and Whinny

2 comments:

  1. HI Robin,
    Reading through the blog and just wanted to let you know I enjoyed reading about your experiences at the horse fair. Tom and I are taking two of our curlies to the Curly show in Indiana, April 24-26. Never shown a horse in my life and at 59+, I am a bit anxious. My horse is doing so well so I hope I don't let her down!! Keep riding!! Carol B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you get a horse used to a starter gun? Are they for sale someplace?

    ReplyDelete