Friday, April 17, 2009

Sixty-eight degrees!


Awwww...too bad, the floors were going to be cleaned at the office, we all had to pick up our office equipment, put it out in the shop and LEAVE EARLY on a Friday afternoon. Bummer...the sun was shining, the wind was blowing, a gorgeous spring day, so I took big fat advantage and saddled up AhD for a test ride to Sanitorium Hill. He is scheduled for a trim tomorrow, and to make it interesting I said I'd ride over to my friend Audrey's farm so that the farrier only has to make one stop. Speaking of interesting, it was. AhD was FULL OF IT and dropped many big hints that he was up to a run with a few bucks thrown in, so we didn't do that. But we did canter up a couple of small hills and had some wonderful trots. I really truly appreciate his trot in a way I never could before. Our trot together feels like a well-oiled machine. There was a lot of water on the trail to navigate. No problem. We crossed a couple of streams and some super large puddles that covered the whole trail.





Here is the Scary Water Spout. AhD never likes passing this ~ whatever it is ~ that shoots water up in the air.

The woods smelled wonderful. And I know that I can make it to Audrey's this time of year; I have never taken this trail this early in the year, and I was afraid it would be too wet. It took 45 minutes by trail to hit road on the other side of town. Funny, it only took 30 minutes coming back! ;) We didn't have to stare at so much stuff on the way back, and AhD's walk was definitely in high gear. Other than his trot, there is another thing I noticed today that I especially appreciate about my Curly. He is a great downhill navigator, and tucks his butt right underneath him for balance. Tomorrow's ride should be interesting because the last half of the ride to Audrey's is road.


3 comments:

  1. Cool! I love shots taken from between the ears. :)

    It does sound like a "bummer" that you had to go home from work early.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan , It sounds like your horse is a lot like my Curly boy in the fact they seem to have a personality all their own and won't ever let you forget it. Great Horses!!!!!!!!
    I don't see any pics with your saddle on what are you doing keeping me in suspense all the time?? And what blanket?? It sure looks like you have some great country to ride in.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,

    What a nice fella AhD is....and he got right past that Scary Water Spout! Good boy!

    Angie

    ReplyDelete