Sunday, April 5, 2009

Chester - Our Calm Curly Stallion


Hello All,

Today we had an unplanned obstacle section in our barn at Golden Curls Ranch. My sweet and ever so calm stallion, Chester, had wandered back into the barn after we move lots of furniture, fans, filing cabinets and lots of other things that should be really be classified as "junk" so we could make a new tack room. I had been mucking stalls and did not closed the gate all the way when I left with the "poo mobile" to empty.

Meanwhile, Chester walked in and was smelling everything. I came roaring in with my Sears Craftsman Zero Turn and attached wagon (fondly known as the poo mobile). He turned at me and I realized this could be a very stressful situation as he was blocked by the furniture at one end of the barn and me and the noise maker at the other. I turned off the machine; got off and stood there quietly wondering what was the best thing to do (I have always heard never to make a stallion feel cornered.) I just stood staring trying to kick start the brain.

So I started softly calling his name and he began to walk over slowly. He walked up to the machine smelling it and in the process the pitch fork handle blocked his movement on the other side from me. The, I started singing softly and walked around to the front of him and move the handle. He walked on a few feet and turned and looked back at me as if to say; wow, there are so many interesting things in the barn today! I really do believe Curly Stallions are wonderfully calm souls!


Best wishes,

Angie

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Angie! Sounds like you and Chester make a good team. Calm souls, they are, and CURIOUS!

    ReplyDelete