Saturday, April 25, 2009

Moose


Well, I didn't joust today but I did have some fun nonetheless. Like Vermont, it was HOT in Maine today so I waited until late afternoon to ride. I did a little work on desensitising AhD to the tractor and then headed out. About 3/4 of a mile from my house, AhD went on Full Alert, and I heard a big crashing in the woods, so I dismounted. I started walking down the trail towards the noise, but stepped in moose poop, and AhD started making his Stallion Snort...so I thought...neep, and headed back towards home. I REALLY need to teach my pony to stay out of my space. We worked on it all the way back to my house while he continued to roll his eyes, drip nervous sweat and do his big Stallion Snort. By the time we got back to the house, I was roasting hot. I tied AhD in the shade and let him think about his attitude for an hour, and then we went back out - in the opposite direction of the moose of course.AhD was very forward, but I was taking NO guff from him after wrestling with him earlier and kept him on task. It took him over an hour to chill out. We wound in and around a couple of small trails and made some sort-of new ones, then headed up the road to Back Street. We trotted up a steep hill and then headed out on a wonderful trail which looped us around to the far side of the road, and then we walked, trotted and cantered back. The second ride was GREAT, but I'm seriously considering donning some midieval attire tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

  1. Susan, I just can't help but be proud of you, you are useing the good saddle and blanket!!
    I'm still waiting for the weather to warm in this fine state. We get one good day and then cold wet days, I don't know what happened to the normal springs we used to have.
    Sounds like you are getting in good control of your horse, this should lead to great summer for you. I bet you are looking forward to your trip this fall. I am going to enjoy living out of a tent for a couple of weeks next month.
    Keep up with the great horsemanship and have a good spring
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far so good on this spring, Harold - the black flies are either not bad this year or just haven't "set in" yet. I'm also wondering...could it be AhD's beauty treatment? Because that Dermal Aid sure smells like menthol, and I don't think flies like that odor. I will be living out of a tent this fall, too, but not for as long as you. And my tent buddies are vegetarians. I'll look on the bright side, I guess that means I won't have to share my home-raised beef and pork. :)

    ReplyDelete