Saturday, April 25, 2009

Our Saturday Joust ~

Ok-- hope you aren't tired of me posting new obstacle ideas.. but here's the best one yet ! My Number 5 son went on a school trip last month and the kids ate at Medieval Times- where they have live jousting while you sup. Well... with the mini contest coming up, I thought-- why not give that a try ?!






Here's my little course - it's about 100 or so feet long.








We didn't actual do battle- but performed the Quintain- which is knocking "shields" with a blunt lance, a simulation of striking the enemy. The shields, when struck, swing- which took some thought to get it to work.






The rings- where the rider collects the rings by spearing them with the lance.




Here's the horses in their dress- and a closer look at Keri because she's so beautiful :) These are curtains from the Dollar Store ! we just sewed them up a bit and voila -- instant equine regalia.



Isn't my "War Horse" lovely ?

Zoe handled the camera for the entire time- and got this video, which is poor quality but she was on board Teasel who was a bit antsy to get at the games. It was pretty hot today, but Keri loved the games once she got the idea... for some she trotted but mostly she cantered. Teasel did well too- but did not have the same enthusiasm for it as Keri did.

Later in the week, we will try what's called 'Pig Sticking'. We didn't have time today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7gyhLAXCJ0

I have been riding OYY Sweet Bee in the evenings, getting her in a little better shape. Tonight she gave a me a trot for almost the whole time out and we even had a little jump over a log on the trail-- fun ! :) I had to use the Barefoot Cheyenne with her though as the London for some reason feels a tad downhill. Zoe is riding Winter Dancer from her house in the evenings-- having loads of fun too.

enjoy ~

5 comments:

  1. Ok, now this is just WAY TOO COOL! NO ONE is going to be able to top this one. The video is great; I don't know how Zoe was able to keep the camera so steady, and for once we got pictures of Betsy! I agree, your War Horse is spectacular. John and Robin should especially like this event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pretty happy that for once I got to hold the camera instead of the one in the pictures. If I got to use it more I could get the hang of all the different settings on it and be able to do better.

    My mm and Keri looked great together just flying around the ring. It is nice that others get to see her and her sweetheart. They make an awesome team together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is so cool!! I would love to try that sometime. :-) That and mounted shooting- but first I have to learn how to shoot! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU TWO ARE AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am ALWAYS talking about my "jousing" curly but never thought about doing something like this!! Incredible! I just love the effort you put into building your amazing obstacles. You guys are so super duper, I just can't even speak! LOL. GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete