Friday, April 3, 2009

A True Spring Day !

Yesterday, we rode in T-shirts !! What a great day-- After lessons and before Zoe has to meet her children at the bus-- we had a brief window of trotting time and we intended to just do our 6 mile loop. I saddled up Keri and Zoe grabbed OYY Ivan. We had our first obstacles of the day before we even left the yard.

The excavator is here- putting in telephone poles so I can make some sturdy gateways and bar-ways here and there.. burying them more than 5 feet down which is more than I could ever manage. Here, the big digging machine is loading the poles into the trailer to take them across the street.





Since April is the 'Month of Obstacles' , we are always on the look out for any little hurdles or obstructions which will qualify :)





Just a little way down the drive-- Sophie the pig is scouting out grubs and shoots of greenery.








And the ducks are back in the little pond- sometimes they fly up when we ride by, which could precipitate a minor spook- but today they are lazily waddling away.





Back roads are still pretty muddy. I am thankful I don't live out this far-- I'd hate to have to travel this in my car. As we trot a little further, we hear the trail calling... and see there has been enough melting so we can get up and over the snowbank blocking our nearest favorite trail-- so we abandon the road loop for something more beautiful.





We ride through shadows and sun~

clear trail and deep snow.








Sometimes Keri is the leader- other times brave Ivan. We find lots of meltwater and brooks.




























We pass by the little beaver pond,
come out into the field and trot home.







Just for fun- we try the stone steps in the backyard..


Too easy !





I hope spring has arrived wherever you may be and you are enjoying it ! I think the only negative sign of spring I ran into today was several whirling bunches of blackflies--

5 comments:

  1. Wow, what a GREAT ride of obstacles Zoe and Betsy!!! I just love that you take so many photos...although we don't see much of you Betsy...but we know you are there. ;-))) Ivan sure is a steady fella for being so young!! Loved the pig. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, Denise-- Keri and I are always in the picture taking position. :) We have had more rain than clear days but hopefully we'll be able to set up our course soon outdoors. Yes- Ivan is an incredible gelding-- a real peach. I wonder sometimes if I post too many pics.. I sure take a gazillion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO WAY do you post too many photos! I love all the pictures, because then we can all ride vicariously through you, even if it is rainy or we are stuck at work. :) I agree, Ivan is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betsy, sounds like a great ride and I, too, love the pictures (all of them but especially the ones taken from saddle). It makes me feel like I'm part of the ride. Thanks for sharing,

    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, I am glad you are enjoying my blogging. I enjoy posting ! There are always more photo's on my farm blog-- where I don't feel so bad about waxing on (and on) about my horses and rides and inserting many more photos than I would on the RAC ... be sure and visit there too :)

    ReplyDelete