Thursday, July 15, 2010

Obstacles & Encounters for Lakota High Socks



Went for a trail ride today with my friend Kathy. Talk about an exciting ride.... we had some interesting encounters. First, we must have startled something - we didn't really get to see it - but we heard it crash through the woods - the horses didn't flinch - so, we assumed it was a deer.

Then, without warning, three dirt bikes came flying past us unexpectedly - although they had considerable distance, they didn't slow down - or show any concern for us. Lit'l Lakota's ears were perked - but that's it... he thought they were pretty fascinating. The adults (horses & riders) were less than impressed, but managed to keep their heads about them.

On the last leg of our short trip - a huge owl flew right in front of us - just over our heads - the horses paused ... looked up.... and proceeded along - no big deal.

If I had been on my old palomino - I would have likely been dumped somewhere along the way.

Deams (Mama) is quite brave and level headed - Lakota is just like his mom - maybe even calmer. Nothing seems to phase this guy - if anything, he just becomes more curious and "checks it out".

We finished up the day with a nice bath. Although I had sponged Lakota down with a sponge before - today was his first experience with the hose. Mama went first - as Lakota observed. Then it was his turn. Like an old pro, he stood fairly still and allowed me to gently spray him down. (Low pressure and a soft spray ) What a good boy!

Here's some typical footage of Lakota at play:




Lakota is having a ball!


He is fearless and curious.




7 comments:

  1. AH! He is so freakin CUTE!!!!!!!! How do you stand it?! HA. A 24 hour a day entertainment!! So precious...thanks for sharing, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get much done - that's for sure.

    Denise - I read your last post - yikes! How are you feeling. Ribs take a long time to heal. Hope you are feeling better.

    I took a similar spill last fall (no pun intended). I too was riding bareback with a camera on my back on a beautiful brisk autumn day....dah what was I thinking! I gust of wind came - Deams did a little spook - and I started to slide. In an attempt to save my camera - I landed on my shoulder. I still haven't completely recovered... still feels a little funky. You just never know.....


    PS Will you be traveling to VT for the get together?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lakota is so adorable, he looks so cute taggin along for the trail ride.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Lakota is a picture perfect advertisement for the Jolly Ball!

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. yes, Denise is coming; I'm picking her up at the airport. We will all get to meet in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deb, are you coming to VT too??? I know Donna and Lynn are coming..at least I think they still are. This is going to be SOOOOO FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep - sure do.... I'm only a half hour away or so.... if anyone needs me to pick them up at the airport - or anything like that - let me know.

    ReplyDelete