Tuesday, July 20, 2010

We finally took the next step!

Sunday was finally a day nice enough to do some work with Linus and not die of heat stroke!! We started with the usual grooming, hoof cleaning and fly spray. Very happy to say I can spray Linus all over with it with no halter now. I finally got brave enough to have him drag something too. I have been so worried about it and what I would do if he got spooked or tangled. Probably what I always seem to do in scared livestock situations and stay calm, talk to the frightened animal and sort the situation out. Have no idea where that ability comes from but appreciate it very much!! I needn't have worried about that anyway because Linus had no problems. I didn't completely harness him at first, just put the breastplate and hames on....I hope I said that right! And hooked it to the whippletree (hope thats right too!) and I just walked him around and let him get used to the leather hitting his back legs and the noise of something dragging behind him. Then I hooked a plastic sled (maybe using a sled in this heat will bring cooler thoughts!) to our ensemble and away we went again. He still care at all. He glanced behind when he noticed it followed him, but wasn't at all bothered by it. I unhooked that stuff, harnessed him and did some ground driving. I wasn't entirely pleased with his performance but I must remember his age and all things considered he is doing exceptionally well. He wasn't feeling very willing when I was driving him, but I know part of this reason is because we stayed in his small pasture. If I took him out and up the lane or road, he would have been no problem....which is why I worked him in his pasture. I want to go for me wherever we are. Whether it is somewhere he wants to be or not. I did manage to get him to do some weaving with cones...after he stopped picking them up in his mouth.
Our next challenge will MAYBE be to hook up the training cart. I'm still concerned about the first time he tries to step sideways and finds he has firm poles on either side. He'll either panic or deal with it and accept he can only go forward or back and has to make a wider turn. I'm probably worrying for nothing because Linus always impresses me with his lack of concern for anything I do to him, but still. Just gotta do it and deal with it!!!

3 comments:

  1. Donna, I think there are ways to teach them about the poles before hooking a cart. I had a video on it..or ask Betsy. Just a word of caution....if you have ANY doubt about how he might react, you might be pushing it. AND once a bad experience sets in, you have alot to undo....NOT fun. =] There is no reason to rush...take your time, do everything you need to til he is confident...don't skip steps. It will come back to haunt you, trust me..I know! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. pool noodles have been suggested. I'm confident with the pulling, but the fact that he won't be able to turn sideways has me concerned with what his reaction will be. I definitely won't do any hitching until I am 100% ready to. Will keep the posts coming on our progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! I know, I sound like a mother hen, don't I?? =] Just don't want to see any more injuries happening to our curly friends! Looking forward to hearing more...always love your posts, Donna.

    ReplyDelete