Wednesday, July 7, 2010



Most of my holiday weekend was family time spent haying or at the lake and the ocean sans horses, but I did get in a trail ride over the mountain to my friend Audrey's.
I wish I had had Angie's fly repellent recipe beforehand, because the times I spent in the woods were tortuous. The deer flies swarmed around us. I carried two fly-swattin' branches, and we moved right along - there were no photo ops on that section of the ride! I know AhD and I can beat the swarm if we are moving at a good trot or better, but the problem is, around here there's uphill and there's downhill, and not much inbetwixt! Trotting down a rocky hillside is unsafe, hence my need for branches. That experience was enough to keep me out of the woods for the next month.
On the other hand, the road portion of our ride was great!
The weather was gorgeous - blue skies, sunny and hot, nice breeze blowing, the smell of newly cut hay. Mmmm-hmmm, hay surely smells even better when you are not working it!
Audrey agreed to accompany me and AhD partway back to our house. AhD moved right along, recognizing where we were headed, and I could hear Audrey's shoed QH trit-trotting to keep up. I love my spunky Curly!

1 comment:

  1. Susan,
    Your handsome spunky Curly has a spunky partner too...you guys are great. I'll trade you some hills for our relatively flat land...

    ReplyDelete