Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Not always perfect....

I knew the day would come where Lakota would be a typical baby. On our last ride, Lakota was feeling his "oats" as they say. He leaped onto his mother's back and caught me in the process. The rest of the trip went fine - but this was an important wake-up call about "keeping it safe".

Lakota is less than 3 months old - but in the last week or so I'm seeing some more "assertive" behavior. (I wouldn't call it aggressive - but his bravery may be getting to his head.) I've had to be much firmer with him. My mare is allowing him to get away with a lot more than I ever expected her to allow.

I have read that Curlies mature a little bit slower than other breeds - but I feel like he is getting ready to be weaned. He rarely grazes near his mother - and has been very independent. Although he is still nursing - it has significantly decreased (he is opting for water more frequently). He has been growing in leaps and bounds. On another note - he "dropped" when he was only 4 or 5 days old - is this normal? I know this blog is not set up for these types of questions - but if you have experience or comments - I'd love to hear them.

Happy riding to all - See you in VT on the 13th!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh...Glad you are OK! Those little bodies sure can get big fast. Good that you are firm with him. We weaned some of our colts/fillies at 4 months, others might disagree. I also believe in gelding at a young age to make for an easier more handleable partner. =] Stay safe and see you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My last two colts dropped at a week old so yes, it's normal. I agree with Denise, if he's destined to be a gelding get the job as soon as possible. I know "the flies" are a reason why folks don't geld this time of year but they work to your advantage by keeping him moving while he heals. I am not, however, sold on weaning this early. Having done some this early I can say I prefer 5 to 5.5 months. Mom still has lessons to teach him. If he doesn't settle after gelding I'd look to get him into a larger herd environment for a spell - you'll find Mom will get that much more serious about her duties and he'll get some of the 'tude addressed by the herd. He's a great looking boy, btw!

    ReplyDelete