Thursday, July 29, 2010



Well, the summer is flying past and we are almost into August. I have been playing with different horses all summer as grandkids and neighbor kids are here to ride. Yesterday my 13 yr old granddaughter and her best friend were here and wanted to ride. The best friend last rode at age 8 but watching her around the horses I suspect she was plopped on a horse and led around or ponied.




I have learned in my obsession for safety the kids have a "zone out" level pretty quickly so I am trying to learn to teach an abbreviated version so we will be safe, give them a taste and hope they will want to come back and really learn.




As the girls had overslept and it was getting very warm, we grabbed the most convenient horses. That put my smooth coated Blossom as the lesson horse again and my granddaughter rode Blossom's buddy, Black Bart, the 30 yr old Morgan/quarter gelding. The ride was short but sweet. It was getting really hot and I didn't want anyone gettin badly overheated. (That would include me as I was walking and leading Blossom so this just counts as ground work for me.)I usually have to encourage little girls to roll their hips back a bit so they are not sitting so board stiff with a hollow in their backs. This little friend will need encouragement the other way.....but that will wait for another day. Please note the latest fashion for summer rides in East Texas.

2 comments:

  1. I love the fashion statement (including the helmets and heeled boots)! Happy girls on beautiful horses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan,
    Being grandma to such a fashion model is a test. I love that the girls want to be with the horses...nothing better for me or them.

    ReplyDelete