Thursday, July 22, 2010

Progress!

I forgot to mention in my last post that on Sunday afternoon I put Linus back out into his front pasture. The gate to this pasture is very badly placed at the lowest spot in the field, which at the time was a massove puddle spanning the width of the entrance and over my ankles deep in places. I remembered back to the hard work of getting Linus able to walk through puddles that were centimetres deep...he hesitated slightly at the gate. I rubbed his neck, told him it was ok and on he went without a fuss. Which was great, but the better part was that he didn't try to rush through the puddle, he walked calmly through it as if it wasn't even there. I was so proud of him for this.
Monday evening Owen helped me groom Linus and then he took off on his toy tractor to chase Essa, but not before sitting on Linus for a couple of minutes. These two are going to be inseparable. They each light up when they see one another.
I harnessed Linus with no intentions to hitch him to anything. We went out through the still soggy gate and up the driveway, focusing only on him listening to my directions and trying to so do with the lightest possible touch. There is a rounded grassy area beside the driveway that is bordered on 3 sides by pine trees and one side by the driveway. We actually did the perimeter perfectly!! Hip Hip Hooray!! Then we went to the end, did a pretty good turn...only one I might add, he usually tries to keep going around so that he can go out longer. I made it clear what I wanted and back up the lane we went. We had a bit of a scrap when I decided I wanted him to drive through his gate. But I didn't give up and once he learned that I wasn't going to give up, he sighed and finally went through. Then I praised the pants off of him and gave him a big hug and pat for it finally clicking. He's such a great boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment