Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Trust

Today I had such a good evening with the horses. Voelie who usually is a sensitive horse and a bit nervous was lying sleeping with Suri standing next to her. She usually allready stands up when I come onto the grounds and when I enter the field she is definately standing! Now she was lying there as I entered the field, I slowly approached her while talking to her and I got down by her head and started petting her. She was completely relaxed and trusting with this. I was so extremely happy to have her trust me like this. It feels like such a step forward. A few days ago she was being head shy towards me and we worked on this and now I sat with her for at least 15 minutes scratching her head! She was so extremely relaxed that at one point I wondered if she was ill:):) I did not recognise my otherwise nervous (as in lots of movement) horse! I moved over to her side and also petter her belly and she was fine with that too. All the time Suri was standing watch with her warm breath breething softly in my neck! It was such a very happy moment! It shows me that my groundwork and attention to Voelie is earning her trust! I hope to also accomplish this level of trust with Suri, she is much more calm in nature then Voelie but she does not trust me to come up to her when she is lying down yet but I of course have not had Suri as long as Voelie so I hope maybe in the future she will also trust me to pet her while she is lying in the field.
After I got up and made the bowls of food they both had their food and I petted and scratched them both even more. No riding today but a very nice evening ith my two lovely horses!

2 comments:

  1. Jessica,
    Yes, trust is the key. It is so hard to earn and so easy to loose. I am glad that you are earning it with your two.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time Linus let me do that with him Jessica. It's an incredible feeling to gain the trust of such sensitive animals who do not easily trust. I love hearing about your progress with your ladies!

    ReplyDelete