Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Bridges and Views, Acadia Part II

Love the stonework on this bridge located on the Around Mountain trail.
AhD and I are backlit here, so in silouette, but this picture was taken from a friendly biker or hiker who had stopped to admire the view just as we had!
AHA! Evidence of a sweet fern snack. I took off his bridle just after this shot, to allow him easier chewing. The carriage roads are much wider than a typical Maine woods trail, so there was very little opportunity for my buddy to snatch food as he wants to do when we ride. Didn't hurt my feelings a bit not to have to keep an eye out for horse goodies every ten feet.
Taking a break to admire this waterfall.

We are up pretty high now and starting to get some really good views of the lakes and ocean.


The carriage roads wraps back on itself here as we move from Sargent Mountain to Parkman Mountain. I think AhD looks ESPECIALLY handsome in this picture. :) At the stables, a handful of people ACTUALLY RECOGNIZED HIS BREED. They would say to me, "Hey, is that a Curly???!!" They were so excited. Usually their friends would then say, "This is the first time I have ever seen one in person!" AhD was very well behaved and made good impressions with everyone. I was very proud of him. Also, speaking of great things about my Curly...he refused to urinate in his stall. Each morning, I would lead him out on the grounds to do his thing. HOW COOL IS THAT? I was hoping someone at Wildwood Stables would notice, so I could brag, but they didn't, so I am bragging to you. :) I think it's kind of like how proud you are when your toddler finally starts using the potty.



There's nothing like looking out over your horse's ears at God's creation. On the mountain side, the trees are fairly stunted and windblown at this height, and the ground was sparsely covered with moss and scrubby vegetation, and there were large patches of pink granite. But as I looked out over all that open glory on the downhill side...reverent is the word I will use to describe my feelings. These photos just give you an inkling of what it is actually like in person. I wish all of you to find your own beautiful spots like this in your neck of the woods.
In my next post, I will share a few pictures with you from the Tumbledown area on Jordan Pond.

3 comments:

  1. OH Susan, Acadia is simply breathe taking! That is a trip to look forward to. With so much of nature's beauty to look at, I would have a difficult time staying on my horse, with my upper torso careening about to take in the panoramic views.

    Curlies are certainly making a statement all around the country these days. And kudos to you and AhD for his "potty-training"....definitely something to be proud of.

    Looking forward to seeing Jordan's Pond! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I'm very envious of y0u and your ride, aslo very proud of the great strides you have taken with AhD, especially riding with a decent saddle! My brothers are in the ND badlands with out me this year but my heart is with them.
    You sure seem to see the beautiful country there I wish I was with you on the ride. I am still amazed you took the good saddle along, so proud of you. I shall have to see about a good hat for you though. That is a weird one you are wearing.
    Thanks for all the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan!! What amazing pictures and so wonderful to hear of your stories and how you and AHD promoted the breed in such a powerful way! WAY to go!!!

    ReplyDelete