Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My Beloved Xandra and I :-)



A freind, who happens to also be an exceptional photographer came over recently to meet the Curlies.  While she was snapping away, for lack of a better description, it felt like Xandra was asking me to hop on... so I did.  I know, I know, should have been wearing a helmet, please believe me and trust me when I tell you I otherwise always do, crash vest too at times, for whatever reason, despite my better judgment, it just felt right to do it though, so I did.  First ride ever, no helmet, bareback, no bridle, heck, not even a halter, and Xandra was... perfect.  We both Loved it!!!  Since then I've ridden her one other time, Brandon caught a quick pic just before the sun set, sorry for the darkness, Im just so glad a smidge was caught, yep, in just a halter and lead, I'm wearing a helmet at least though :-)  Enjoy the following pics, I am so loving this girl, as always, my Hearts other, other Half, Brandon being the first one. :-)  Xandra was extremely comfortable to be on, so quiet, willing, focused on me, enjoying herself, and perfectly happy to do whatever came to mind, including a few figure eights around the trees we were under, so cool!!





So, other news... I took part in an in-hand dressage competition last weekend, I was actually there as the scribe for the day, love getting the opportunity to work with a Judge and learn what they are looking for!, I highly, highly recommend doing this!!  I got to chat about Curlies with the Judge, and then with several of the spectators during break times throughout the day!, as last year, they were very disappointed I didn't get to bring any to the show this year, too many other things going on right now!!

Rhys is finally recovering from an injury we've been doing some physical therapy, stretches, and massage for.  He has his first schooling show in Oct, for which I'm excited for and very nervous, he's basically been happily in time off the entire summer, should be interesting, no time like the present to get out and do things though right?!  Instead of riding him regularly to get ready, of course, I'm busy repairing fences, working others' horses, and... preparing once again for the Puyallup Fair.  Which is considered to be the biggest county fair in western WA, thousands of people will be coming through our exhibit and meeting none other than Xandra and Memri, who I well imagine will Wow the crowds.  I'm inclined to say I might spend most of it sitting on Xandra's back, we will see, we both seem utterly calm and happy that way, so why not right?  Thinking we might work on some trick training while we're there for so much time, I think Memri will enjoy this as well.  I am working through a new book called "Clicker Training for Horses" by Alexandra Kurland, I highly recommend it!!  I think the girls and I are going to have a blast working on some new things together for the week, I'm really looking forward to it!!

I was happy to finally get to check back in on everyone else's posts, sounds like many are busy, busy with lots of wonderful rides and promotional activities and getting to do great thigns with their Curlies, Keep Up the Great Work Everyone!!! :-)
Best,
~Heather
Skygazer Ranch

2 comments:

  1. Good luck at the fair - that is so awesome you are attending and representing the Curly horse! I also think it's so amazing when "horse people" have never heard of this breed. I love the "in-hand" dressage competition - and would like to know more about it, especially what the judges are looking for. My goal is to better my dressage score by 5 points, then we will be in reach of placing in the top 5 horses at competitions. Keep up the good work - it would be fun to meet if and when I have a competition on the West side, or you, over the mountains by Spokane. Let me know if you ever get over in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That evening photo is amazing! Let us know how the Pullyup Fair turns out.

    ReplyDelete