Saturday, September 25, 2010

Here Comes the Color!

Looking up at the sky from the back of my Curly! What a sight! Fall colors have arrived in Maine.
There is even a smattering of color among the birches at the point we enter the trails. What a beautiful day it is today, an unexpectedly hot day right at the beginning of the fall season. AhD and I meandered around some familiar trails, and my Lab Grace meandered right along with us.
Most of the sumac are already red.I thought this maple along the edge of the power line was especially pretty.
I tried bushwacking to a new trail my nephew made, but I almost got my handsome steed in trouble. We were winding our way about in the woods when we hit a marshy patch, and suddenly AhD was up to his knees in muck that had been hidden by some spongy moss. I could feel my heart racing as I tried to navigate him through this area, but AhD seemed unconcerned. I paused to assess, and he ate some ferns. So, I took a deep breath, and we made our way out of the mess. Once on the trail, I dismounted to tighten the cinch. AhD was so hot that steam was rising off of him like a cloud, and trails of milky sweat lined his front shoulders. We continued on, along the sun dappled trail.
We came to this steep hill.It doesn't look like much from this camera angle, but it is REALLY steep and rocky. It didn't bother AhD a bit. I leaned forward and grabbed a good handful of his short mane just in case, but I tried not to pull on it. You all know what Curly manes are like! Not too secure!
I hope you are all able to get out and enjoy your Curlies this fall, and I am looking forward to your posts.

1 comment:

  1. Susan, as usual you have taken some great pictures and I notice the quality in your riding with that great western saddle!!!!!!!!!!!! I must admit your colors are almost as good as Minnesota. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete