Saturday, September 4, 2010

Take a Chance and Curly Talk


Today after I took AhD to the vet for his rabies and rhino vaccinations, I drove over to my mother-in-law’s to ride around her neighborhood.

Three houses up from her (or should I say three barns?), I always admire a beautiful flashy Appy and his Morgan pasture mate. On a whim, I decided to take a chance and stopped at their house to inquire if there was anyone there who would care to join me on the trails. Lo and behold, there was! AhD and I now have two new friends each! I had plenty of time to talk to Doris and her daughter Grace about Curlies, and in fact, they actually knew what a Curly was since they had both taken lessons at the same barn where Sage, a gelding bred by Adria & Chuck Halstead-Johnson, resides. Small world. Speaking of talking about Curlies, I talked to THIRTEEN people today about Curlies while wearing my Top O’ the Hill Curly Get Together t –shirt! Yep! The vet and his assistant, my new friends, Doris’ husband, and four sets of my Mom Lejonhud’s neighbors. Denise would be proud. Most of them had no clue what a Curly was. One of the neighbors, obviously a city boy, actually asked if our horses had rubber on the bottom of their feet. He couldn’t get over how they could walk on the road. Doris explained to him that hooves are hard, like our fingernails. Good thing, because I was totally speechless. What the heck is he doing outside of Portland? I'm surprised he even knows how to mow his lawn.

On the other hand, Doris husband was quite horse knowledgeable. He is the one who took this picture for us. We talked about how some Appy’s and Curlies have very little mane and tail. Doris kept admiring AhD’s round, strong feet because her colorful Appy didn’t have much going for him in that department. The trails were beautiful, and especially nice because I had a guide who knew which neighbors did and did not want horses on their land. We rode the power line.
We rode around this beautiful man made pond.
We took in the lovely views on the hills, and trotted through some fresh smelling pine spill lined trails.
The weather was gorgeous! Our new friends seemed to like to go at the same pace that AhD and I do, mostly walk with a few trots and canters thrown in. The other horses were well-behaved, but not perfect, so I wasn’t that embarrassed when my Curly suddenly decided that he was going to lay down in a field. That’s right, folks, while I was on his back. Suddenly, AhD was on his knees. I think I gave a little shriek. I was confused and trying to figure out what was wrong, as I jumped off. Nothing was wrong, apparently AhD was sweaty and he thought a roll in the nice grass would be appropriate??? NOT!!!!! I prevented him from rolling by picking his head up with the reins, gave him a swift kick in the side and told him “GET UP!!” in no uncertain terms.
Perhaps it was his brand new very fancy saddle pad (pictured here) or that he was sore in his neck from the shots, but I am really not going to offer up any excuses for him, since I am not privy to how his mind works. I took off his saddle and pad, and then put them right back on, and away we went with no more funny business. What a comic he is; he always keeps me guessing. I just love my horse! All in all, an EXCELLENT day.

4 comments:

  1. WOW!! 13 people??? That's awesome, I AM impressed!!!! Go Susan!!! I love how you found people to ride with - that is so wonderful. And I am sure they enjoyed getting to know you too and AHD of course. =] Too funny about the roll....yep, been there done that!! Thanks for posting....and remember...you can count every single person you talked to for your promo points!! Whoo Hoooo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, after I seen the picture of
    AhD with that saddle I got down on the floor and tried rolling too. Can you call that a saddle??? I bet he was embarrased with that on around the other horses I think the saddle and your weird hat was more then the poor horse could take. Nice pictures though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE how got you new riding partners. That was so cool of you. Its always nice to see up close the horses you have admired from a distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harold, I can just picture you getting down and rolling on the floor! STILL LAUGHING! You are quite the witty one. I actually brought both English and Western in my trailer that day, but opted for the English. And guess what? The Appy and the Morgan were also wearing English attire. Donna, you are fantastic about talking to people about Curlies! And, Denise, I wore Curly apparel all weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete