Friday, September 10, 2010

A great fall day!

Now have my bitless bridle back and it took me about 10 minutes today to refit it to Linus. He hadn't had it on for about 2 months or more so it definitely had some adjusting needed!! Seems like every time I put tack on him it has to be adjusted to his constantly growing self. Oh well, it's nice to watch him grow. He's slowly getting more mature too.
I had really started having problems doing his front feet. Particularly on the right side as I have previously mentioned. So, today I tied him to the trailer and groomed him first then when I went for the first front leg he started to go sideways. After a few repeats of this I decided we needed a new approach. I slipped the hoofpick into my back pocket and rubbed him in one of his favourite places; his chest between his front legs. He stretched his head out to enjoy it. I bent forward, leaned into him to change his weight distribution and picked up his foot. Held the foot and kept rubbing his chest. He didn't bat an eye. So I stopped rubbing, grabbed the pick, cleaned the hoof and then went back to rubbing while still holding his hoof. Worked like a dream! I did the same with the opposite fore leg. I usually do rub him above his tail before and after doing his hind feet.....maybe that was his logic behind not standing for his fore leg..maybe he wanted scratching up front too!! Whatever his strategy, mine worked too!
Our tack-up and grooming was frequently interrupted by Owen getting stuck in the mud so good that I had to pull him out. A few times his boots stayed rooted. Linus loves to watch Owen. Owen helped brush him again today and sat on his back for a few minutes with me holding him. When Linus steps forward, Owen beams like Christmas morning!!!
Once we finally set off I kept the session short to just issue some reminders about the cues from the bitless. I rewarded when he got it and was very pleased that he still did "whoa" and "backup" in it.
I wore my Curly hoodie at work for a bit on Wednesday and it generated some Curly conversation. Most of the regular customers already know about Linus but it was good to spur some new interest. If anyone is thinking of ordering Curly apparel, the texas orange colour is awesome!! I got just as many comments on the colour as I did the breed.
Tomorrow, I am going to small riding clinic at a friends' farm. I am very excited to be back in the saddle. It has been way too long. My husband is starting tonight to overload on antihistamines so that he can ride too!! And they have some minis so Owen might get a chance to sit on one more his size.
I also wanted to mention that while grooming Linus today, I was doing a lot of reflecting. I have now known him (as well as Lynn, Brian and their horses) for a full year now. And what a year it has been! It keeps getting better. I just wish their farm and ours were closer together. Linus has gotten so big, but that goes without saying since at this time last year he was still with mama Lucy. I love my big red boy and look forward to many more years with him!

1 comment:

  1. Donna, I admire your hoof-picking strategy. It's like the old saying, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Sometimes we all need to think outside of the box when training, and you are a prime example of this. I did something similar with AhD last year when he was going through his challenging phase (which lasted waaaayyy too long). It worked like a charm to ease the tension and allowed us to move forward. You have put so much time and effort into Linus that you will be true riding/driving partners when the time comes.

    ReplyDelete