Saturday, March 7, 2009

50's in Maine, too



Boy, was it nice to be out in this weather! I tried my usual winter trail, but the snow was well over AhD's knees, so we soon gave up on that.
We walked up the road a while with some of our neighbors. Maggie, in pink, especially enjoyed our stroll and asked lots of questions.

There were a lot of neighbors out today, in fact I think I talked to seven people, and I live in Hicksville. We all had the same idea. I bet a lot of you RACers were out today, too. I can't wait to see all your posts!

After our up the road jaunt, during which we tried and failed at another trail, we headed back to the house, and then I decided to try one last trail.
Across the road, my neighbors keep a well-groomed snowmobile trail. Well, that was the trick! AhD's feet only sunk 1" - 3" with each step, so we were good to go.
So, go we did.
We even got in a nice trot.
Tomorrow's plans?
Heading across the road!

5 comments:

  1. Susan, We are headed into another heavy snow storm Monday so things will slow down again here.
    We had 36 for a high yesterday and sunshine but I had Jed's 7th birthday party so no long rides for me. I have to put a lot of miles on Curly to get him ready for the N D Badlands and myself also, I am getting very anxious for May to come so we can go.
    Yous look like you are really enjoying yourself with such a great horse.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harold, I also need to get in shape because AhD and I are going to Acadia National Park in late September for five days. We will be camping out ~ enjoying God's glory on a shoestring budget ~ with my two new horsie friends Ulla and Sue S. Ulla, who has children my age, can ride me under the table, so AhD and I need to be prepared for 4-5 hours of riding per day. Sept is quite far away, but May is just around the corner, so you need to get on the stick! (Although, unlike me, you are probably fit and ready for a big trip on any given day.) If there are any RACers reading this that would like to join us in Acadia, just say the word, and I'll pass along the information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I had to chuckle when I read your note, you mean 10 to 12 hours of riding don't you???
    The first time Denise and I, meaning my wife Denise not the other Denise, went out to the bad lands for the first time we thought we were in shape , we rode from sun up to sunset for four days and boy did we loose weight. Packed the saddle bags with sandwiches and oats and didn't get back to camp til sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10 -12 HOURS!!! Nope, haven't spent that much time in the saddle since I was a teenager, and there is no way I could carve enough time out of my schedule now to get in shape for that much riding. But life has taught me to never say never, so I will save the final daily hour tally for after the fact. We may surprise you and live up to your high standards, Cowboy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Looking at your photos, with it being 50's in Maine, you guys look comfortable as a fall day, with no big coats on. Boy, if it gets down to 50 here in Texas - we are bundled up! It's in the 40's today and rainy, so hardly anyone is out and about. LOL! That's brrrrr-freezing weather to us!

    Hello from Kilgore, TX!

    Lynda David

    ReplyDelete