Sunday, March 8, 2009

Scary Few Moments

Great day riding yesterday-the weather was spectacular!!  Chy was perfect, we are working on getting round and he is responding beautifully.  It is not something he really wants to do, but we have been working on making it a pleasurable thing.  I rode outside in the early morning and did a little jumping-it was muddy so we spent most of our time just walking everywhere and enjoying the Spring.  

Later in the evening Molly wanted to see her pony, so we went back to the barn and she just trotted around the indoor  a bit bareback.  We tucked Chy in and gave him some hay cube soup about 7:30.  Camille, my trainers daughter came home with us for dinner and a movie- I drove her home at 11 o'clock and because I am a little neurotic, wanted to just check on Chy.  He has an end stall and always whinnies when he hears me pull up--WELL this time as I opened the barn door he let out a horrible distressful, loud moan and my heart fell through the floor.  I ran to his stall to find him pinned up against the wall and twisted with his head upside down just looking at me and moaning-he had cast himself and was stuck.  Luckily  Camille was still with me and she ran for her mom Nina, my trainer.  I sat with Chy's head in my lap and comforted him, his position made his belly look bloated and I was just scared to death he had colic as well.  He calmed down with my being there, and just before Nina arrived he suddenly gave one gigantic effort and got himself back up-yea!!!  And the good news is that he was just fine!!  In typical Curly fashion, he laid still until help arrived and he felt safe enough to try to get up.  He was  soaking wet and we went for a walk and he had some hay and a few treats-I was still shaking though-nothing worse than seeing your beloved horse in distress.  Checked on him this morning and he is just fine.  I am glad he is such a smart horse, because I know he won't do that again!!

2 comments:

  1. Deirdre, You must have been scared to death! AhD has a straight stall, and he always lays down when he has to be stalled due to inclement weather. I am always afraid of this happening. My husband built the side walls to be removable, just in case. Thank God your Chy is alright!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! That would terrify me.

    Susan, I have never heard of removable walls, but that sounds like a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete