Monday, March 16, 2009

Dolly Update: HYPER


My mom hadn't visited Dolly in a long time, so I convinced her to come sled-jouring. I got Dolly ready and hooked everything up, and we started pulling my mom around. Dolly was ready to GO. I hadn't lounged first or anything, which would have been a good idea in retrospect. Instead I chose to lead her by foot and ride her some other day. Athena was in the pasture watching us, and worrying that Dolly was going to leave her forever (her best buddy just left a week ago). Dolly was watching Athena race back and forth and she started trying to circle me and pick up speed (as if I were lounging her). I had to be firm for a couple of minutes until she accepted the fact that now was not the time for running and kicking up her heels. I let her trot a little bit (as much as I could keep up with) and my mom reported that it was FAST. But she did great and it was a lot of fun. Here's the view from the sled. She pulls SO HARD and has been really good with the different sounds the plastic sled makes when going over snow, ice, gravel, etc.

Afterward, I put her away and she and Athena both rolled for a long time. Then they started to RUN all around. Dolly had a blast.

Sidenote: Athena has never liked Dolly's company very much. She used to pick on Dolly a lot, although it's been mellowing out over the past year. But Athena's best buddy was sold last week so now it's just Athena and Dolly in the pasture. Athena has started being really nice to Dolly and has even played with her! Dolly is loving this new freedom (and it makes me sooo happy to see).



3 comments:

  1. Oh, YOUR PICTURES ARE INCREDIBLE! Dolly is beautiful and the at play pictures are super. Thanks for the post. I can't picture pulling my Mom on a sled...yours must sure be a good sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. I love watching the horses at play! I'm always excited if I have a camera on me. :)

    Yeah, my mom is a great sport. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. DOLLY PICTURES!!!

    :-) Looks like a lot of fun, and yes, good job with the camera...

    ReplyDelete