Tuesday, March 31, 2009

After Work Ride

The snow is disappearing fast in this neck of the woods, and the late day spring sun sure lends a different palette to the eye than it did only two weeks ago. AhD and I took a quick after work ride on Jason's Loop. It was lovely. The air was fresh and clean, and the birds were singing. AhD kept looking for deer bogeymen in the woods, and I had my work cut out for me to keep his mind on his rider. I noticed something strange while I was riding him; he had a muscle twitch in his right shoulder throughout the whole ride, almost like he was shivering. It didn't seem to bother him, and it went away when I untacked him back at the barn.
I couldn't resist taking this picture of his beautiful mane. I have been using Dermal Aid on his mane and tail. His tail is so-so, but his mane is thick, soft, spiral curls on both sides. I admire it when I ride, and I wish it would stay like this all year long. With a lot of care and a little luck, maybe this year will be the year that AhD will have a beautious mane right up through the fall. I really want him to look (and act!) nice when we go out in horse public this summer.

5 comments:

  1. Susan, sounds like you are having spring in your neck of the woods. We had a snow storm here last night and today. Schools closing and all. Supposed to be more tonight.
    Now Susan this old Cowboy would always take a little grain along on a ride with a horse that was nervous to go and at the turn around point I will stop and give him a good hand full of sweet feed as he or she has worked for it, then it don't take long and I never have a problem leaving home.
    I see I am going to have to work hard to keep up with you.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Susan! Great job with AHD's mane. The trick it to stay consistent even when you think you are beyond the "shedding" stage. I used to make the mistake and back off around July - only to find a few bald patches again. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ol' Cowboy, I do use your fancy grain trick in the winter, when I can't stop and let AhD graze awhile because there is no grass to be found. Great minds think alike.
    I think I am dreaming about AhD's mane, though. It seems to be shedding quite a bit when I "comb" it with my fingers. Denise, should I use the Dermal Aid once a week right through the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will still lose some, Susan as you comb through it. Don't worry. Treat it every 2 weeks through the summer. You can slack off in the fall when the weather cools down and their bodies want to naturally "hang on to" their curly locks. ;-) If you go to treat it and you don't see any white gunk or flakiness, wait another week and just keep an eye on it. Sometimes you can get by every 3 weeks, but keep checking.

    ReplyDelete