Saturday, March 14, 2009

Evening Ride

It was so incredibly warm in Maine today, that I waited until early evening to ride. AhD still has the majority of his winter coat, and I didn't want him to overheat. We headed out on the deep snow trails, and saw a deer right off the bat. The deer was munching on the grass where I later took this picture of AhD. The depth of the snow varied so much on this trail that we turned around and headed across the road instead. I could hear screaming children from over there, enjoying the beautiful weather. My neighbor Meghan, age 6, is an avid horse lover. We visited awhile. AhD enjoyed the hugs from Meghan and her brother Nate, and nibbled on both of them.

Yep, Curlies sure hate human attention. After the lovin', off we went on the packed snowmobile trail. AhD was wonderful, very forward with his power walk, asking to go faster. Once in a while, I'd say ok, and he was very respectful with no snotty attitude, scoots, or fake runaway attempts. It was awesome!

5 comments:

  1. Boy oh boy Susan, you sure know how to rub it in what you do. I am begining to think it is a Maine thing!!!!!!!!!!!! We had just about 50 degree here in Minnesota, what a wonderful day, and Curly was looking at me every time I went out side today but we just couldn't do it, Monday if the weather holds I'm gonna go for a very very long ride. The snow is going fast here not deep at all like it was yesterday. Your horse is looking spiffy even with the really weird saddle on him.
    That one should get me in trouble.
    Have a great weekend
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have firm plans to ride today and will be thinking of you all day. Maybe I will surprise you and use yet a different saddle. When you take your very, very long ride on Monday, you should write in and tell us RACers all about it. Riding helps us get in touch with what our lives here on earth are all about, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    If you are reading this, sorry for misspelling your name in my post. Also, my horse friend Ulla says that when you learn how to ride, you can ride with us and her granddaughter, who is also six. Won't that be FUN! -Susan and AhD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boy Susan, Denise is the only one that ever invites me to ride with her on a Sunday, that's okay, you just think an old cowboy wannabe like me won't make it I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. COOL! I rode today too, I worked the hair off of Koko. He let me know that I had been neglecting him, and to pay me back was really antsy and raring to go. Omygoodness, that horse got worked. He loved it too. By the time I got off, over an hour later, he was soaked with sweat and I was wet to the skin, through my jeans, with it. I had ridden bareback, it didn't go through a saddle! lol.
    He was still anxious to run, if I had given him his head and a tap with my heel he would have been in the next county. I think he has at all times about two days of solid riding with no breaks in him. Then rest him for a minute or two and he'd be ready to go again.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete