Saturday, March 7, 2009

Glorious 50's!

As a nearly lifelong Midwesterner... it is a joyous occasion when the 50's come around. Temperature wise that is! :) I was running about in a tee-shirt for the better part of today, playing with my ponies and just basking in the promising glow of springtime.

I've also come to realize the effects of winter on the body of an equestrian... I certainly try to stay in shape during those brutal periods of cold that I just cannot force myself to go out and ride in, but I've really slacked this year. I'm impressed with my continued stamina day after day, but feel the pain every morning when I snap, crackle and pop getting out of bed (which is a long process!), and fall into bed at night. There is something wholly completing about being worn out by the over-enthusiasm of riding and training horses though.

My 'little' O Man has been basking himself in the glow of spring work. He follows me up and down the pasture from the second I step foot outside, whinnies to me, hangs his head over the gate and gives me this pleading puppy dog look for attention. I eventually give in, groom him up and lunge him for a bit hoping that will suffice, but no. I turn him out a little sweaty from his exercise only to find him once again following me and begging for *more* love. :)

Ceylon is digging the spring as well. I've got her back on the lunge and she is eating up every second we spend together.

I meandered about with Jobi some tonight, he's been giving me 'the look' that says, "hello!? what about me? you're wasting your attention on these young snots while I stand here making the whole herd look good... (insert a tapping hoof here)." What can I say, he's grown accustomed to the prima donna position when it comes to attention after our last exhibition in October. I think he's missed the show ring and the feeling of glamour.

Theodore and Truman have yet to get put on the attention block. Honestly I'm considering selling a few horses and am not 100% sure which of my Curlies will end up being offered. I have plans to move to Washington state in the next year or so (maybe sooner if everything falls into place!), and necessarily will have to cut back the herd for the sake of my parents who will be taking care of a number of them until I get settled in my new surroundings. :)

Anyways, it is late.. and I work in the morning, which means I should *probably* get some sleep. :) Photos and videos are coming soon, I promise! Just need to roll out my camera-person (mom) on a few occasions.

Erica K. Frei
Awareness In Riding
http://www.awarenessinriding.com

1 comment:

  1. Hey there-I love your site-beautiful pictures and video-the horse dancing is just beautiful!~I signed up for your newsletter as well!

    ReplyDelete