Sunday, March 22, 2009

Fun with Clicker Training

I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning so I could spend time riding today. And last night around 9 pm I started to feel "the crud" come on. How frustrating!

So I'm stuffy-headed, headachy, low energy, and have occasional bouts of light-headedness. (sigh). I trimmed hooves this afternoon, and when I was sitting down on the stoop waiting for my back to quit hurting so I could actually stand up straight, Lakota came over and was begging for attention. She stood next to me and kept touching my arm. Then she started to paw. I took the hint that she really wanted to do something.

So I went inside to gather my clicker/treat back, and while I was doing that, Lakota decided she was going to start without me. I had the camera with me, so shot some video. I had so much fun, I'm glad she talked me into playing.


3 comments:

  1. Michelle, this is SO cute!!!! I really need to do some clicker training with Reese but he is so food oriented, I don't know if he would concentrate on the task. What kind of treats do you feed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denise -- I just use alfalfa pellets for treats, or a bit of oats. When they do something really, really good, or we are working on something scary like trailer loading or "touch the goblins" and she gives me a good try, then I give her a dehydrated apple treat, or a cookie. Some people use Cheerios, or Chex cereail.

    Jen is very food motivated also (well, they all area to an extent, but with jen's history she gets really worked up over food), she is learning that she has to stop and think about what she's doing to get the treat, rather than get all worked up over it. Its teaching her emotional control around food, which is great.

    ReplyDelete