Sunday, March 29, 2009

Refreshing Saturday Mountain Climb

Today it's raining, but yesterday was a beautiful end of March day.. Zoe and I saddled up to climb Mount Ephraim. I snapped so many photo's- I'll just post a few of them here- if you want to see a step by step of the the entire ride.. visit my farm blog ! :) The woods seemed more beautiful than in summer, the views were outstanding, the lovely rushing sound of water everywhere followed us. Plus the occaisional ATV riders, who had the same idea as we did- to get out on the mountain for clearing the head and soul-- some of the riders were slow and quiet as they passed us-- others were groups of rowdy daring boys out for a thrill ride.

Here's a photo from my backyard of where we are headed- you might be able to make out the roof in the center, just below the ridge-- this is about a quarter of the way to our goal-- which of course is the TOP.









We trotted on woods trails and snowmobile trails - had a couple of brook crossings






Much of the road/trail was water, snow and ice-- which was pretty sturdy on the way up-- on the trip down, the horses were breaking through quite often as it had warmed up a bit. Neither of them even broke stride with each break-through.




Trotting on this "ice road" made a hollow echoing sound.








About three quarters of the way there, we meet our first big break in the treeline. Views from here are great -













Back on the wooded trail again-








Then out past the last treeline, almost to the top.




















I am not sure which is the best-- the trot up, or reaching our goal. It was a wonderful ride-- and on the way, as usual, Zoe and I planned our next trip out.. which will be a trot up to the top again-down over the opposite side where we can loop back around to a lower mountain trail to head back home. next week !
Enjoy the views and enjoy your day ~

4 comments:

  1. I have to admit you make me a little envious with your back yard picture. I live in the middle of the Minnesota swamplands, in the summer if I don't stick to my trails we are likely to sink in a bottomless swamp. In the dead of winter I can go about any place here but I sure don't have the views to look at like you do. You must have had a wonderful ride.
    Harold, Curls N Horns ranch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, man, I have some serious Riding Envy! Sounds like a wonderful ride, and Harold's right, you have gorgeous views.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan-- I thought of you the entire ride up and back. Especially when we were trotting on that "ice road".. your pony would have gotten some good exposure to break-throughs. You will be pleased to hear Keri was a perfect lady. Visit soon so you can ride with me !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harold - I probably take my surrounding scenery for granted-- keeping my blinders on a lot just working through the day ! I am glad I have my horse and my rides out to remind me of all the beauty. From the photo's I have seen of you and your Curly, I never would have known you have all that swamp ! We did have a fabulous ride and I adore my horse (although from her plain and boring saddle pad you most likely would not be able to tell that) She does have a lovely charm on her bridle though. We do have one trail where you HAVE to stay on track-- or you will sink (and I have sunk) quick as a blink... :)

    ReplyDelete