Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Three Days

Saturday, Sunday AND Monday....three days straight of riding, almost unheard of in my world, in March anyway. All three days were wonderful. Sunday was fashion day. First we tried the Australian saddle....
it didn't fit that well on AhD, and although I have very fond memories of that saddle on my Morab Magic and on Betsy's Lily on our Mt Ephraim ride, I also have one VERY BAD memory that I have been fighting for years. So after trying it one last time, I think I am going to sell it. Then, we tried my daughter's Western. It is a fine saddle, probably the best quality saddle we collectively own.

AhD looks quite fine in it, don't you agree? And it felt pretty good, too. Nice stirrups, fits my new bigger butt without being way too big like my synthetic, but it has a wider twist. I may start using it.

As you can see from our big maples, we are collecting sap and enjoying maple syrup on blueberry pancakes this time of year. Yum. I'd better watch it or I'll be forced to use the synthetic Western. ;)


After work yesterday, I opted for English. I was psyched to be out for the third day in a row. We did a small bit of the deep snow trail, and then crossed the road to the snowmobile trail. Here is a view. The pond is frozen still and mostly snow covered. We skated on this pond weekends throughout the winter. Further on down the trail, AhD spooked at something in the woods, I have no clue as to what it was. He leaped suddenly with no advance warning, and instead of being firmly in the saddle, here I was, practically hanging on mid-air somewhere over his butt area. I had time to think during that moment, something to this effect, "How on earth am I going to get my feet out of the stirrups, fall off the back of his a** without being kicked, and land without killing myself out here in the middle of the woods?!" Actually, add many more exclamation points after that. My firm grip on the reins was my salvation. That, and the fact that AhD didn't go that far. I literally was hanging on by the reins (I was thinking how ironic...I am not following correct form and putting all my weight on my horse's mouth) and pulled myself back into the saddle with them. And, I must admit, my pony tolerated this and waited for me to get situated. I scolded him about the spook and then we were on our way. I let him know that although the leaps were not appreciated, the waiting for me afterwards was VERY MUCH appreciated.
Here is some more beauty in the Maine woods a little further on down the trail. The air was so fresh and clean. My heart raced for awhile, but I did some deep breathing, AhD gave a big sigh, and then things were right again. After we arrived back at the barn and untacked, I was using a hoe to clean out the steers' stalls. AhD moseyed back into the barn and laid his head on my shoulder. Then he bit the hoe.
What a card!

6 comments:

  1. Susan,
    I am not part of RAC, but I own Yemaya, from Betsy at Top O the Hill farm ( I love her curlies!). Yemaya is my soul mate, and I absolutely love her! she keeps me very alert while we ride :) I love to hear your adventures with AhD, as my girl has a lot of the same personality, and every ride is a new "adventure". Thank you for sharing, I look forward to your posts.
    Laurie W. in NH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, the Assie saddle is great, I have one and so does Rainee, I rode on all the time till I got my bear trap western saddle. Your horse looks great no matter what the saddle. I wished I could have seen you on AhD for you special action ride.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. The very end sounds like Dolly -- biting the hoe. Whenever I shovel manure out in the pasture, Dolly wants to bite the shovel. I find it pretty funny, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laurie W., I remember Yemaya; she is a bright red extreme chestnut, and yep, she can move right along! I like your attitude ("she keeps me alert when I ride") She DOES sound like AhD. I think us trail riding New Englanders should get together for a Curly trail ride this year. There is also Laurie with Pye in NH and Laurie with Dream in Maine, and Betsy and Zoe in Vt...and who knows how many others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harold, it was a special action ride, alright! Yesterday I rode a non-Curly with a friend at lunchtime; no fault of hers but she didn't hold a candle to my buddy AhD. She didn't like me much at first, her eyes just about rolled into the back of her head - I could see her say, "who IS this chick who is flapping this saddle blanket around me??!!" Her owner doesn't sack her out before she rides, so I quit that in a hurry. The mare did warm up to me after a time and even rubbed her head on me when I untacked her. Good thing because I plan on doing more lunchtime riding. Have you been able to get out??

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many Curlies have that wonderful playful personality like AhD and Dolly! Isn't it great?

    ReplyDelete