Sunday, April 14, 2013

Kid Time!

Turned out to be a beautiful day today - and what better way to spend it then with the horses and kids.  Since my goal is to turn Timbuktu into a child's eventing horse - he is now unofficially my 7 year old daughter's horse.  (Only until I want to ride and compete him.)  :)  I told her that she is now in charge of handling him, saddling him and getting him used to listening to a smaller, less skilled rider.  He listens fine to me - but needs to realize that he has to listen to whoever is handling him.  Timbuktu is such a sweet, calm horse - they make a great time togther.  Here they are touching noses......
And since, of course, my daughter is just sure she can handle him - she wants to go out and ride in the open pasture.  However, I do have some common sense and told her that she needs to be able to walk, trot, canter and halt him competently first in the round pen before heading out in the more open spaces.  Here they are together in the round pen.  They spent 1 hour practicing walk & trot & halt (very important HA HA).  Then I saddled up Khatmoondhu and we rode together out in the pasture.  What fun!

6 comments:

  1. wouw you are also doing a great job with you kid! isn't it lovely to see them with the horses.....but your's si working with a bigger horse hahahaa so sweet together!how long is she riding???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter JUST graduated to a bigger horse. Ever since she started riding she has been on one of our 2 overgrown miniature horses. This was really scary for me to put her up on something so much bigger. Took a bit of faith for me.......

      Delete
  2. Liz,
    You are a wonderful mother, what awesome memories your little girls will have for life{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, they look really good together! Isn't it nice to see the offspring of our stallions under saddle and doing SO well?!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - you are so right, Shelly. Yesterday the two had their first pony club lesson together and I had tears in my eyes. I brought both of them into this world and raised them - now they are growing up! Couldn't be more proud.

      Delete
  4. They look GREAT together! Glad this is working out for you. Tugs on my heartstrings....and I just love that Timbuktu. How tall is he?

    ReplyDelete