Sunday, January 18, 2015

Linus the Tracker!

We got up to a lot today on the farm! First with the cows and then on to the horses. Today was trim day and Sarah, who does all 3 of our horses is a delight to work with. She has a passion for what she does and appreciates the individuality of each horse. She is particularly fond of Linus and has really come to love the Curly breed in general. She now has quite a few Curlies making up her clientele.


Linus is just happy to have any and all of the attention!


And after having temperatures as low as -32C last week, I could not pass up on today's balmy 2C weather!! What a change. So, we saddled up and headed to a nearby trail on a friends property. They use their backhoe on it regularly to go cut wood so the trail currently has perfect footing.


My friend and her sister had taken two  of their horses for a walk on the trail earlier in the day so Linus spent a good deal of time walking along with his head down following their tracks. I think he was disappointed we missed them! We ride frequently with one of the horses, Lucas and we always have a joke about him and Linus having a "bromance"


I let Linus do a fair amount of sniffing and investigating and then we carried on with our ride. We had some nice trots and canters along the way. When we reached the end of the trail where it turns to follow the power line, I decided it didn't look good enough to continue. The other girls had crossed this spot much earlier in the day and the warm weather had taken its toll here. Linus and I broke through this spot last year and I didn't want to take any chances, so we turned back and took another fork. 

Not looking good enough for me to cross! I know how deep it is underneath!
We met a neighbour on their 4-wheeler on the way and they loved that Linus walked right up to it for a visit. He's such a social butterfly!!

Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, ON

1 comment:

  1. I still can't believe that's Linus. I remember you posting when you first got him and all the ground work you did. My goal is to hitch my mare up again too so we can swap stories about it.

    ReplyDelete