Saturday, February 6, 2010
Diamond & Dolly - saddles, ponying, playing
I spent Tuesday with the horses. The sun was out (even though it was 15 degrees F) so I hurried to get the horses without shoveling manure first. I put saddles (poorly) on them both. I didn't put the saddle correctly on Diamond because I expected her to roll on it or something anyway. The tightening of the cinch worried her, but after that she was just fine with it.
Then I rode Dolly for a short while. I could tell she was hyper, so I free lounged them both for a short while.
Then I attempted ponying Diamond while riding Dolly.
Ponying is definitely above our current abilities, but it was fun. After a while of trying, we got in a couple of perfect steps so I called it quits. Here is a picture of Dolly while I'm riding her, and of Diamond with her head right by my knee.
I discovered three ponying issues to work on next time:
1) Diamond needs more basic training first.
2) Dolly is very excited at the change of pace, and doesn't enjoy standing still long enough for me to give cues to Diamond.
3) Dolly got a little cranky from me holding her back so much, so then she wasn't in the mood to allow Diamond's head right by her side, and kept pinning her ears which Diamond took as a cue to back away.
WHEW. So then I shoveled manure. After I finished and was putting away the sled, I realized that Diamond wanted to play with it!! Here is a video of her mock-attacking the sled. It was hilarious. She really amuses me.
Posted by Amber at 7:45 PM
- ► 2015 (83)
- ► 2013 (442)
- ► 2011 (1008)
- Llama rounding - Curly style
- Rained out...in February...in Eastern Ontario....W...
- Monday's ride
- Curly J, an intelligent Curly Gelding that keeps m...
- Here we go....
- Riding Rose
- UGGGH More Snow?
- Our Curly Queen of Carts
- Lovin' it!!
- Cold and Sunny in Vermont
- Almost 50 in New Hampshire!
- FINALLY! I'm blogging, Susan!
- The Sap is Running!
- Snow Ride!
- Getting out there in the snow
- Week of harness work - 'sitting' to the RAC trot
- Impromptu Valentine's Downtown Excursion
- Cross-ties Conquered!!
- 2.5 hours today...
- Logging some healing RAC hours
- Riding Lesson
- brrrr but a good day anyway
- On the Right Track
- Beautiful Day
- Online Training Program - Feedback Please
- good day
- Minnesota Sunshine
- Curlies and Texas Weather
- Tooks some pics and played a bit
- The sun is shining and the air is crisp but it is ...
- Hokah, MN News
- Winter trails and photos
- Sharing Sorrow
- Kendahl D'Uva - 09' Reserve Champion Youth 12 & un...
- The Bad and the Good As everyone who has, or has ...
- THANK YOU RAC !!!!!! Thank you Denise !!!
- A Small Thing
- pictorial proof!
- Back in the Saddle Again (almost)
- Diamond & Dolly - saddles, ponying, playing
- Brrrr..... Sunny but cold in NH
- Big day for Little "Z"
- It Is All Wet
- training and prep
- Sandor playin' in the Sun
- Some real RAC Logging !
- Incentive Award Ribbons
- ▼ February (48)
- ► 2009 (333)