Thursday, December 9, 2010

Flashback


I was feelin great today and had some extra time on my hands while the water tanks finished filling, so I spent it with Linus of course! I tied him to the gates of his pen first; he really doesn't get tied that much so it was good practice for him! I really have to watch him now though because if he gets bored he starts to try with his teeth to untie his lead rope!! Such a full of mischief boy!
I cleaned him up, brushed out his mane (See it getting longer?!?!?!) and tail and then did his hooves. He was really really good with having his hooves handles. I expected a bit of fuss since I haven't been doing it daily. But he was golden.
I then showed him the blanket and saddle and proceeded to put it on him. I had to majorly adjust the girth and it has only been about 2 months since it was on him. He's growing like a bad weed. To show this, I posted a picture of him wearing his first saddle. This was on May 25, 2010. You can really see the difference from then til now. He tried to reach around and play with the stirrups but he was really not at all bothered to have it on. He did try to explode and take off when we came out of his pen though. Sorry, my boy, not happening. So, i used my carrot stick, which I have renamed "licorice stick" because mine is black, to reinforce who is the leader of our duo! I worked him until when I said Whoa, he knew it meant do not move. Then we did some tight circles and some larger ones with me leading him. He quickly tuned in to me and was much more respectable. It's so good for my patience to remember that he is a youngster and needs for me to take my time with him. It's been so great!
We cannot ride (this year!) in the year end ride, but I will be fitting his new harness to him and hitching him up. I will take some pictures with the camera rather than cell phone and get them posted. Have fun on Saturday everyone!!!



2 comments:

  1. Sounds like good progress Donna. And we have a licorice stick too! Linus is very cute in that second picture. Glad to hear you'll be participating in the year end 'ride.'

    --Brie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LIcorice stick! I love it....I guess that makes mine an eggplant stick...although that doesn't seem to flow off the tongue very well!:~) LOL!

    You have to appreciate your mischievous boy, shows he's not only playful but always thinking; and the fact that it takes a little time (and patience) is well worth his tuning into you. Looking forward to seeing Linus in his new harness and being hitched.

    ReplyDelete