Sunday, December 19, 2010

Winter Trail Riding....love it!

Reese and I managed to get out too today, after squeezing in all the Christmas duties this weekend. I'll tell you what, it sure takes getting used to trudging around, lunging and tacking in this deep snow with all these winter duds on, doesn't it?? What a work out! *whew!*

I started by lunging Reese in typical fashion....are we listening? tuned in? respectful? light and soft to my cues? Yep! He joined right up and I tacked him up. (wishing all the time that I had taken the time this week to make one of Betsy's schnazzy bit warmers!) Loaded up in the trailer and headed down the road to ride with my buddy, Erin. She is home from college. There were goats at her place and I allowed enough time for Reese to introduce himself and get accustom to them. He found them extremely interesting! Even reached way over the fence to get closer...it was pretty cute. I'm realizing that the more time I take to prepare for my ride, the more fun we have. My 2010 motto has been, "New eyes, soft heart, cherish every moment." And that is what we did again today. Just took everything in and enjoyed each new adventure. We rode for about 90 min., and it was like heaven to be off the property and on the trail. This was just our forth ride out since deer season, and Reese was excellent.....well, all except for the minor flaw when we were cantering up this little hill and Erin's mare ran up his back end. yikes! Never saw him strike back like that....but thankfully he didn't make contact. He has never done that before..we were both pretty surprised. From now on...we'll make sure to keep our spacing better. It was great to be riding with Erin again. Sorry no pictures...it was getting dark and I knew the pics would be blurry. Next time!

Oh, I forgot one thing..it was so hilarious. After I got home, I trotted Reese up to the shop to untack him and Tom had some garbage just outside the back door. As I untacked, Reese was RELENTLESS in investigating the bag. I tugged on the reins a bit as I loosen his cinch...I didn't want him to grab off some plastic and eat it. He loves to play with plastic! Well, just then Tom stepped outside and Reese took one last grab at the garbage bag and pulled out (of this tiny opening at the top), a 2 liter empty 7 up bottle! He just stood there holding it in his mouth, like "SEE, this is what I wanted!" lol. Tom out right laughed...as he tried his darndest to prior the sucker out of his mouth!

6 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the way you make it a priority to prepare for a ride, even BEFORE trailering. AhD thinks goats are strange, and he is very wary, but I bet if he got to meet them up close and personal like Reese, that he would be curious, too. Denise, I hope you will post in 2011 also. I always love to hear about what you and Reese are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan! I used to always be in a hurry to just get on my horse and ride. Now I realize that it not only calms me down but be are both just "united" in our thoughts before heading down the trail. After I unloaded him, I worked a bit more with him..not much, but just a little reminder on softening and listening. We found a nice spot from the barn that was like a runway with soft fluffy snow...and we worked on the whoa....back and one rein give both directions. In the past, I would have just tacked and went...and dealt with issues on the trail. NOT a good idea! =]I am learning to love the prep...it's like getting reacquainted again with Reese. It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, your 2010 motto is something to cherish!!! There is something to be said for "smelling the roses".. LOL, kind of difficult this time of year, but you know what I mean.

    Isn't it amazing what a little time, patience and observation can do for our rides? I have been a firm believer of an occasional join up before work....although difficult to do at the barn where my boys are.

    It puts a smile on my face to hear that you and Reese are becoming one before hitting the trails to deal with any issues. Makes for a safer and more pleasant time for both horse and rider. Of course things may happen once out there, as you found out with Erin's mare running up Reese's butt.....sometimes we (including our horses) just aren't in the mood for antics. At least that's what I find with mine when they are in tune with me and ready to work. They are not overly tolerant of other horses who are NOT behaving and they see as a threat to themselves or their rider....jmho.

    OH to have had a photo of Reese and his pop bottle! He sounds like quite the character....and so proud of his find. I hope to meet and ride with the two of you someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Annie! My motto also keeps me paying attention to my horse, seeing things that maybe I might otherwise miss and listing to my heart and gut...considering 'the horse' - rather than always rushing to the next goal.=] That's interesting what you said about them not tolerating other horse's behaving....it almost seemed like that. I wish I had taken a pic too! It was the most hilarious thing. Reese constantly keeps me chuckling..and lately he is wanting to put everything in his mouth..more than usual! LOL I'd LOVE to ride with you too!! Never thought it would be possible with Susan...but it happened! There's hope! =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise -- we can start planning now for the second get together and maybe Lesly can mark the weekend on her calendar -- then you guys can ride together.. and she can dance under the tent afterward for entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's hilarious Denise...I am just about to include a picture of Linus playing with a pop bottle from last weekend. He is NUTS for them too!!!

    ReplyDelete