Thursday, December 30, 2010

Gorgeous Day to Hit The Trail

Work is always a bit slow this time of year, so when my friend Karen called to ask if I wanted to go riding, I didn't hesitate. It was a balmy 36 deg., peak of sunshine and still wind. The trail was calling my name! =]


I lunged Reese first and he was absolutely exceptional. Light, responsive, respectful. I was glad for the extra time to prepare. The only glitch I had was in loading..go figure. I have never once had Reese hesitate to load...EVER in all the 7 years I have owned him...but today he did. Humm....all it took was a couple of circles and he followed me in. We went in and out a few times. Good boy. He did the same when we left Karen's to come home. Took one step in, backed out...I am still puzzled about that. But we did circles...about 4 times around, asked again...nope. So we did another set of circles...and he walked right in. It was no big deal, but sorta made me wonder why all of a sudden getting in the trailer caused even a slight hesitation. The ONLY thing I can figure is that the last couple times I hauled him, the plexiglass in the trailer was iced and it did make a strange noise. He seemed to notice. AND I didn't feed him in the trailer the last couple times either. I always give him a flake of hay normally. Could it be as silly as that? I swear my horse is a food-a-holic! =] But even coming home from Karen's I had hay in the trailer, he knew it was there and still hesitated. Anyway...I don't get it.


This creek looked so beautiful this time of year. Around the edge was an icey border and Reese was pretty uncertain about that. He didn't act goofy, he just didn't want to move forward when he heard it crackling under his hoof. So I dismounted and broke up the ice for him....and he walked right in.



This is Karen and her QH gelding Paco who joined us today. I love this picture. =]

We are supposed to get freezing rain and then cold again this weekend. Hope you all have a safe and Happy New Year! So many things to be thankful for this year....wishing the very best in 2011.


5 comments:

  1. Denise, I love your photos, especially the one of your and Reese standing in the middle of the big stream. Reese is a smart horse to be wary of the ice, and obviously very trusting of you to stop right in once you indicated it was ok. You are a great leader! As far as the trailer issue, hay, stuff happens. Who knows what lurks in the minds of those Curlies, but I know they do NOT forget things quickly (squish an ear by mistake once and then see how long it takes for one to get over it) - I think you know all about that. Anyway, you dealt with it SUPERBLY. Wish I had been able to join you out on the trail; it sounds like HEAVEN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics, this weather we have had lately has been perfect for getting out and playing in the snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Susan! The first time he refused to walk in, I was so caught off guard, I held the rope tight and he almost hit his head on the roof of the trailer....now THAT would have certainly been an issue that would have taken time to get over. I was so relieved he missed it. After that, I just let him back out if he felt the need...but lunging him did the trick...and quickly. Funny how 7 years of no incident and they decide it's not ok. lol.

    Yes, Donna it sure has...rain today, but snow coming! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Denise, good job on working through Linus's momentary brain lapse. You never know what will suddenly become an issue! LOL
    You are nicer than me - breaking ice? BRRRRR he has the fur coat and muckluks after all. :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Ellen. =] In trying to see with new eyes and "consider my horse", I had to consider the fact that this was the first ice of the season and it was on the edge of a stream. (about a 12 inche edge) Reese had every right to be alarmed and question whether it was safe. I felt at the time, as a good leader it was only fair to show him that it WAS indeed safe and rather than avoid it, break it down to a manageable situation. I could have got a stick, reprimmanded him and bullied him, got frustrated and demanding...but honestly, I don't think that would have built confidence in trusting me as his leader. His instincts said this is life threatening. Once I showed him it WAS indeed safe, he walked through the crushed ice just fine after that. We experience alot of this in the spring of the year, crusty puddles and ice breaks and he is great..but by then he has been reacquainted with it again. I felt it was a good compromise for us. =]With some horses another solution might have been necessary...each is so different, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete