Sunday, December 12, 2010

Jingle Bells in Vermont ~ Ride With Me







Zoe was not able to join me today for the Ride With Me so Miss Nimue and I were out solo on the back roads jingling our way through the countryside. While we put on her harness -- Nimue's bit is warming up with our nifty hand sewn rice pillows.






We heat up the pillow in the microwave for 3 -4 minutes and, like a charm -- the bit is warming while we brush and tack up.






Don't look too excited Nimue :) 

She's not accustomed to the photo sessions during tacking time. 

The cart is already in the barn behind Nimue, so I just pull it up into place after poking her hiney a few times to get her straight. works great when you are alone


I tied bells on each side for the audio part of our holiday ride with me drive.
I actually purchased these "bells" at the local Dollar Store specifically to be used for a Keri Teasel Christmas ride. One silver, one gold. They are made to hang on your door knob as decoration -- I think not so much for the jingling.  While I do love the dollar store for certain "finds" ... be forewarned.... these are not made for the constant jingle created by a horse trotting.




Here we are heading down the back roads -- trotting away as Nimue does love to do.   Right around the 2 mile mark.... we started the Hansel and Gretel act... only in lieu of breadcrumbs.. we left a jingle bell about every half mile or so.  OK... next time I'll know to spend my dollar more wisely :)




Here we are trotting up the driveway -- we have 3 bells left.  My fingers were very frozen.. so next time out - I'll wear different gloves.  Maybe I'll invest in some kind of lap robe as well.  Driving is so much fun - especially when you have a spectacular pony like Nimue :)


Here are some snippets of our drive around the 6 mile loop (all we could handle today in the cold)



I am glad to see so many getting out an participating in the Ride With Me -- thank you Denise for the invitation !!

Enjoy ~

9 comments:

  1. BETSY! I love your bit warmers!!!! You made them?? How can I make one or buy one? I love this idea! I always have to wrap Reese's bit up in a fleece sweatshirt and stuff it in a tote bag til I am ready to use it. So glad you could join us on the ride - even if Zoe could'nt join you. Thanks for the pics, video and great jingle bell ride!! It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise -- I kind of copied the idea of those warmers people use when they have a stiff neck or something similar-- take cloth - fill with rice... sew the ends closed... put a cheap microwave in your barn -- and when you are brushing and tacking up -- set the pillows in the microwave for 3-4 minutes... snug around the bit and when you are ready -- the bit is toasty. Be sure to touch the bit to your lip or cheek to test in case for some reason it is too warm.. but I have never had that happen. I got the microwave quite cheap at a sale at Home depot. The pillows do not seem that hot when you take them out of the oven.. but they are warmer than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betsy! Lovely! Your comment about the lap robe reminded me of one we had when I was a child. Mom called it a "car robe", it was a fuzzy synthetic something, a silvery grey color, and quite thick. I suspect it had been used for folks in cars without heat (given the time frame). I loved that 'robe' as she would use it on me when I was home sick with one of the natural childhood diseases. Thanks for jiggling that memory for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adria- I have my Mom's ancient MUFF which belonged to my grandmother before that!! I love looking at it so I know how you feel about your lap rug memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Betsy, I am with Denise, I absolutely LOVE that idea with your Rice Bag! I am keeping the bridles in the house for the winter, and then take them outside when I am ready to ride, but the bits still get cold soon after heading outside. It is inconvenient to try to hold the bit in your armpit with reins draped all over you when you are tacking up. I actually have a "corn bag" - same thing as your rice bag but filled with whole corn - that someone gave me as a Christmas present years ago. I think I will dig it out and put it to good use. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems to me last year after Christmas I had seen "bells" fairly cheap at big lots, I wondered if they would work for driving.......I think I probably would have left them in a trail also. lol. Maybe they can be re-enforced? Hope to try some out this coming year.
    Dian
    Winding Winds

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, where does one obtain a rice bag or two? Like Susan I keep my bridles in the house in winter and they are transported to the barn close to my heart (held close to my heart by my bra) The rice bag seems a much more sensible and comfortable solution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did a quick search and found this

    http://tipnut.com/make-your-own-microwave-heating-pad/

    or if you want I'll make you one or two Lynn -- you'll just have to travel down to pick them up :) no-- I'll mail you some if you want -

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy that is sooo cool! I am sure Nimue (along with all your other horses) appreciate your rice bit warmers and putting a microwave in the barn to warm them. Very smart idea!

    I cracked up over the Hansel and Gretel act!:~)) I've purchased the dollar store bells as well as from other "marts" to attach to halters with the same results...ahh, live and learn with all our purchases, dollar store or not.

    So where is all your snow? I am curious about icy patches on hills and your backroad driving. Perhaps you have discussed this in previous posts, but how do you and the horses handle that?

    ReplyDelete