Tuesday, December 14, 2010

News from snowy Summerland

Well, I haven't posted in months, but as Denise steps up her promotion for the 2011 RAC, I am reminded that I enjoyed sharing with you all our progress and fun around the Curly Standard Place farm. 

I haven't been riding much - I spent at least a couple of months working very very hard to get the farm ready for winter and I am very happy with the results, but now it is time to get back to horses!  I have ridden my wonderful girl Tessa several times, she took this last year off to have a lovely big black filly, but now I want to get her back fitted up to take in some endurance rides next year - she is a real competitor and I am looking forward to it!

I have also been making slow progress with Joe - he is his own funny self, but definitely coming along. It is snowy and icy around here lately so I am taking advantage of my neighbor's lovely coverall arena and well, Joe was quite alarmed the first time in there, but yesterday he was very attentive and good, so next time I will get on him and see how that goes.

My daughter has started our *Sandman/Arabian filly *Sandman's Serenade, done all the ground work, but now she is at university full time so I have taken over that training for a bit.  Wow Serenade is so calm, solid and easy going - she is a delight to work with - we have backed her a few times but not really ridden her much yet, but she should come along well.  She will still be too young in the spring for much endurance riding, but we will definitely ride her out to bring her training along.

So that is mostly my updates - I have sold several young horses, so that will make my training workload more manageable now and these horses have gone to some really fabulous homes - I am very excited about this - I hope I can blog about some of their accomplishments eventually, that would be great.

For 2011, my daughter Anastasia and I are both going to sign up - my goal is to try to keep up with blogging and reporting - I find it can be a challenge to keep up with this over the summer - it is just so busy here!
Shelly
www.curlystandardplace.com

2 comments:

  1. Great to hear from you Shelly. Getting the farms ready for winter can be a major undertaking and so rewarding to know that it is all done. Congratulations on your sales and lessened workload! Looking forward to hearing more about Serenade and Joe's progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, SWEET! I just love your endurance posts. That sport appeals to me, and I'd like to try it sometime with my Curly (25 miles - not the 50 or 100) - so perhaps I am talking competitive trail? At any rate, definitely post to the RAC so we fellow Curly lovers can read all about it.

    ReplyDelete