Monday, February 25, 2013

Back from the edge...

This winter has been different. We had a lot of rain and warmth in January, it finally now has gotten cold and the snow is on the ground. Since about Christmas, I've been fighting some kind of flu/cold thing with light fever and a bad cough. It goes away, and then comes back. I had to miss out on several traditional celebrations here, and during Carnival it was about all I could do to get through all my commitments. My husband was home during this time, to help with the work, but after that he was again out of town and I was alone with the chores. Laying in bed, again with fever, I called a friend. She's a taxi driver who helps out at another farm caring for ponies and llamas. She sounded worse than I did on the phone, bad cough and in bed. I told her I needed help, asked if she knew anyone. The old-fashioned rumor mill was turned on (we call it Radio Grass Mountain, the telephone exchange between neighbors and friends that means in about 2 hours, the entire town knows there's a problem).

In the morning of the next day, I was slow to get started with feeding, husband would be away the entire week. I felt doomed. But, all of a sudden, I heard a young voice outside shouting my name! I open the door in my long johns, not yet dressed in snow gear, and there was Christine. She had done a practical with me 5 or 6 years ago. A young women who is now a teacher at the Agricultural school for Horse Business! With a big grin and her strong young body, she says, I heard you need some help! I nearly crumble, I'm saved. Thank goodness for Radio Grass Mountain.

Turns out, she'd been walking with friend when the friend told her, her father had heard that I need help and they had asked him to come check it out. But, that he didn't have any horse experience. I had received a call from my Taxi Driver friend, that I should call him (as the telephone tag group had called her with his number). But, when Christine had heard from his daughter that I was in trouble, she said, I know Karen! I can do it! And, that was that.

After working out the conditions, we spent the week cleaning up the stalls and getting everything back into shape. A wonder, and well needed. Although, I've still got the cough and fever, I couldn't let her do everything alone, so we worked together. She enjoyed it so much, and I was so very grateful. In the end yesterday, we were done with catching up, it was time to ride. I saddled up Lark, and we were out in the roundpen. First I on board, showed her again the cues, the seat the hands, and how to turn. It had been 5-6 years after all since she'd ridden, then up she went! Working on her seat and hands, her legs, and letting the horse's movement work through the hips, all the while keeping the upper body relaxed and still. Christine beamed. Then, dismount, and I was back up to show her again, the seat, hands, legs, and movement of the body. I haven't seen two people happier in ages! She'll be helping out regularly from now on, so that my health can improve! Yeah!

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you..."


  1. I was wondering where you'd been! Love your last line! good to have you back on line with us.

  2. What an awesome community you have there! I sure hope you feel better soon! I've heard of people complain of the same thing here, nasty flu bug it is.

  3. Thanks Susan, glad to be back too! Janeen, thank you, and yes sometimes the community works (sometimes when they are bored they make up rumors to pass the time too, and I've been a target of those too! But, all in all, it's a good community). :)

  4. Hope you're feeling better soon! I'm sure the horses help keep you going! What a nice community to have!

  5. So glad you got some help when you weren't feeling well - there is a lot that flu going around everywhere it seems!


Blog Archive