Saturday, February 2, 2013

Trail show

Today was Theo and I's first time competing in the extreme trail show we have at our barn.  Normally Abby is my go to trail horse but since she is laid up a bit I decided to ride Mr Fancy Pants (Theo).  He did really good with all the distractions of other horses and obstacles it was awesome.  We don't win but I wasn't trying either I just wanted to make it a great experience for him and keep him in control.  After the show was done we played with a few obstacles that I didn't try in the show and he did really good except the water box...he drank a bunch of water...guess I won't be worrying about him drinking from different places while on an endurance ride.  He did put two feet in the water once I was on the ground and stop asking him walk through.  I was just talking to someone else and he wandered right in the water.  He really does better at things if you let it be his idea.

Another funny moment was when we tried to walk on the bridge.  He got all four feet on but then got scared and started tap dancing on it until he decided to just bail off the side.  He tries so hard at everything and I'm really thankful for that.
In some of the pictures I'm working on my balance with an exercise I learned in my lesson...basically two point.






Abby was moving around with more zest today and I guess she put on a nice chase for the barn manager one night when they were trying to catch her.  She was running around kicking up her heels so it seems about time to get back on and get her some exercise.

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful curly!! Great photos too! What fun to have that available to you. Everyone out enjoying their horses in such a nice place. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you to get Theo out there! The more stuff he is exposed to, the less likely he is to spook during an endurance ride, and he will eventually learn everything is A-OK. He doesn't seem to mind the raincoat, and I bet it will only take him a few times to conquer that scary bridge. I agree with Denise, what a beautiful Curly he is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our very own Erica breed him so she deserves all praise on his looks. He defiantly gets a lot of attention where ever we go. By the end he walked over the bridge multiple times. He really doesn't spook at much the rain coat was no biggie and he just considered the tire being different otherwise it was just the water that he wasn't fond of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've really done a great job bringing him along in his training Blaine. :) He reminds me so much of Jobi in looks, when he was still here there were times the two got confused... of course that was also before Theo shot up another hand in height over Jobi. :)

      Delete