Sunday, September 18, 2011

Equestrian Institute Combined Training Trials

Well - here we go again. This weekend Traveler - my trusty steed and my family - trailered to Cle Elum for the Combined Training Event - which was only stadium jumping and dressage. No cross-country (boo hoo for us). However, since dressage (definitely) and stadium jumping are areas we need to focus on, it was good practice for us.

On the way over we blew a tire on the motorhome so that added some excitement, expense and time to our trip - however, we were all safe and sound and Traveler got a little bit of a break from the trailer. I didn't know how long it would take to fix the tire, so I unloaded him and tied him to the trailer in the Les Swab parking lot and he got to eat some hay and look around. Back on the road thanks for the friendly workers at Les Swab.......

On Friday we were able to participate in the practice stadium jumping rounds since this was not a Recognized Event - so here Traveler and I are jumping the practice course. He was AWESOME! We have been really working on our stadium being more controlled and precise and he did it perfect both times. It was a hoot - because all the horses before us had run-outs and refusals, and he comes this "pony" once again, from "nowhere" and he did it without hesitation. I was so proud of him.

Apparently when Traveler cleared one jump, a spectator got a glimpse of him being "intact" and yelled, "my god, that lady is riding a stallion." That was the only way anyone knew he was a stallion.

Practice Rounds

The picture below is of the jump that most horses refused at - for some reason. It was set next to the woods and there were two jumps with two strides between them, and whatever the reason, it was the "spooky" fence. You can see that Traveler is looking at something - that caught all of the horse's eyes, but he still jumped without hesitation and took the two stride perfectly.





Practice Rounds over - on to the next day.



Dressage - since it wasn't Recognized I didn't have to wear my show coat, stock collar and I didn't have to braid Traveler's mane.



We had our best score to date for the Novice level - so it was nice to see that we are improving - it's gradual, but improvement nonetheless.



I like the picture below, because you can see that the dressage ring is right next to the warm-up ring, so Traveler had to concentrate on me and my cues even though there were mares (big, beautiful ones) riding right next to him on the other side of the fence. He was a little "looky" because of this. You can see that he is looking at that horse - come on Traveler, focuse back on me. :)




That's my boy!


Stadium Round





And that's it - we finished! He completed the Trials, did a great stadium round and we had our best dressage score to date for the Novice level.



Heading over to compete at the NW Fall Gala in Rainier in two weeks. And then we are officially done for the season!


Tallyho

8 comments:

  1. Hurray! I LOVE jumping myself, incredible job! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, SPECTACULAR post!!! I love reading all about it. Great pictures, too. Traveler's spirit and your sense of humor come right through. Thought the spectator's comment on "the lady riding the stallion" was cute, and I'm totally impressed that Traveler clears jumps that the Big Boys refuse. Must REALLY make you proud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You two are amazing. You are brave to ride a stallion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such an awesome job! I love reading about you and Traveler. Must have been an awesome feeling to be the first with no refusals! ...on a stallion no less!! Lol that was a cute comment! - Awesome pics
    - Donna Wilson

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz,
    The jumping looks like fun. After seeing it on your post, I want to learn how to jump a real jump!
    Thank you.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a great post, Liz!! You two are the most adorable team. Such an inspiration as always!! I do hope you will enter some of your pics in the contest again...please?? =]

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz, I just love the pictures and the story line. Travler is so awesome! Every time I read the posts and see the pictures, just get goose bumps, because what you 2 do is really a joy to read about. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. completely awesome! I don't knwo what more to say, the pictures look great!

    ReplyDelete