Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Ride your horse to "work" day


My whole family has been working on building my brother's house this summer (all the logs are from our property and hand peeled) and today I decided to ride Dusty over (instead of the 15 minute walk) and let her stand tied to the tree for a few hours to get used to being patient when tied. I have never had a horse who adapts to situations as easily as she does, I can put her into any situation and she acts like she has done it her whole life. Today we were putting on the metal roof and we had sawmills, generators, drills, chainsaws, etc. going full blast and she couldn't care less. She never ceases to amaze me I love her so much! She loves Alaska and loves being a trail horse up here. By the way I know she doesn't look curly haired right now but in the winter she turns into a little lamb. I don't know what is taking her so long to grow a thick coat but I woke up to ice on her water bucket this a.m. so she better get those curls started! Not only did we have below freezing temps last night but we also got to see the Northern Lights (aurora borelias) around midnight :)

4 comments:

  1. Courtney, you have such beautiful pictures and a pretty horse in them =) That is really cool that you incorperate Dusty into your daily life like you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney,
    Dusty is a love mare. Who were her sire and dam? Does she have some Col Austin?
    I am glad that you are both doing so well. I love reading about this.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your posts, Courtney!! Your life so far away is amazing!! Your photos have such a peace about them...beauty and serenity! AND to top it off you have a dream horse! =] What a gem. You two are really cool together. Thanks for sharing, please keep them coming. I would love to see those northern lights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Takoda aka. Tucker takes after Dusty in every way. She will be curly before you know it. At least I know where Tucker gets his good looks from.

    ReplyDelete