Friday, September 30, 2011

A Little Color for Donna's Birthday


Although I didn't get out to ride today, I thought I'd share some pictures of my ride last Sunday. It was a low-key, Fat Dogs sort of ride.
The Fat Dogs enjoyed the stream very much. Grace went right to the deepest part so she could (almost) swim, but then returned to her sweet spot about 10' off Ah-D's butt. The day was hot and even humid, unheard of in the state of Maine for late September. I don't think I have ever had to put a fly mask on Ah-D to ward off black flies this time of year. You can see that fall leaves are starting to float lazily down the woods streams. It is so beautiful and peaceful. Ah-D liked the cool water on his feet. We stood here quite a while and watched the dogs enjoy.
Who is that masked man? ;) I took this photo on a new trail that my nephew Jason made. This trail, #4, is another good one. It has some nice dips and climbs and one really steep but really short hill that is FUN to navigate! Ah-D tucked his butt nicely and scooted right down. Have I mentioned how much I love my Curly boy?
There is something about this tree that appealed to me.The new trail was never without a stone wall within site.
As I mentioned in my title, we do have a bit of color in Maine, especially on the Sumacs. It's not nearly as spectacular as any other year (because of Irene), but if you look for it, you can find it. The first week of October is generally getting more colorful, and I'll try for some pictures to share with you next week.
This is the best time of year to ride the powerline. Although you don't get the vivid reds and oranges you find on the trees, I just love the way all the bits of color from the low-lying plants and shrubs blend together for earthy beauty. Donna, I hope you had a great birthday and got out to enjoy a ride on Linus after blowing out your candles. On Sunday, Didder and I have an ocean beach ride scheduled, and it is supposed to be a misty cool morning. It is going to smell heavenly! Wish I could bottle some up of that heady, tangy air for all of you RACers, but you will have to be satisfied with a few pictures. ~Susan and *Ah-D-Das~

2 comments:

  1. Thank you kindly Susan. I did get out for a short but sweet ride using the bareback pad. Maine is beautiful and I am so jealous of my parents who recentl visited Maine. I ride Linus with his mask too if need be. So many people thinks it makes him blind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    Please tell Ah-D, the masked horse, that he looks very handsome. About the tree, I really like the sun light on the trunk. Happy Trails,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete