Thursday, September 29, 2011

Thank you, Mr. Dorrance




Dear Reader,

If Lyle could speak English he would say this: "Thank you Mr. Bill Dorrance. You finally talked a little sense into Penny." Here is what happened.

Bill Dorrance, in his book "True Horsemanship Through Feel," writes about how to re-train by riding a horse in a big circle in order to "get something done." So today that is what Lyle and I did. We rode a very big circle. We worked on yielding to the bit, both during turns and at the stand still. (Remember, Lyle was ridden, before I started riding him, in a western rollker or hyperflesion frame. It is because of this that I am trying "to redeem the time" with Lyle.) Riding Lyle in that big circle gave him the opening that he needed to freely change his own behavior and yield to the bit. Riding him at the walk in that big circle also gave Lyle the chance to feel of me and for me to feel of him, as Mr. Dorrance calls it.

For Lyle the memories of being hard are still very fresh. But now he is building new memories. Lyle is choosing to build these new memories. It is a good thing for both Lyle and I to have a second chance. Please enjoy the pictures.

And, Mr. Bill Dorrance, I know you are in heaven with your Lord and Savior. Please accept my heart felt "thank you" for your kindness to both me and to Lyle as expressed in the teaching contained in your book.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Kootenai Curly Horses

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

4 comments:

  1. Very nice, Penny. Lyle already looks very soft. I love seeing someone that is taking their time and not rushing training. Especially with Lyle's past experience. It will be hard for you to part with him! You are both learning so much..just like Reese and I. =] Horses are so grand. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise, You are right. Lyle is no longer for sale. I am riding him and getting him ready for my grandchildren. (Do not have any yet, but one day I will!)
    He is getting soft and yielding to the bit. When I ask for a right hand turn he will often resist. I can feel him start to resist. So before he is committed to resisting, I will put weight in the right hand stirrup so that he comes under my weight to keep his own balance. Then he becomes willing to make the turn if I am soft in how I present my intention to him.
    Second chances are wonderful for both horses and people. That is what both Lyle and I have, a second chance.
    Thank you,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Penny, I like all the interesting ideas you present! Lyle has already come a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    Thank you. I have no words to tell how glad I am that BOTH Lyle and I got a second chance.
    Again, thank you,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete