Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lyle, after the Right Question



Dear Reader,

After I realized the question that Lyle wanted me to answer and after I set it up so that he could see a benefit for himself in the yield, here is what happened. The pictures tell it better than words.

Lyle started to give a front or forward yield to the bosal. I was able to start riding him on a truly loose rein! I no longer had to "frame" him with the bosal reins. Rather I could hold the reins at the center, and move my hand down to make a cue.

Lyle still has to learn how to move off of his hind end, he still has to learn how to disengage his hind quarters, he still has to learn how to freely bend his neck and he still has to learn how to stay in gait and not run off. But if he and I can continue to work on a loose rein then, and only then, can the other lessons find a true place in his heart. This working off of a loose rein is the start of relaxation and collection for him. I hope that my journey with Lyle will be as fruitful as Dane and Marley's journey.

Thank you,

Penny

Bonner Ferry, Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment