Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A LIght Went On!

Dear Reader,

A light went on for me this morning. I was moving several of my mares from one pasture to another in preparation for weaning a filly. I moved my mare Lila with only a rope around her neck. She did not want to go to where I wanted to move her. Because there was only a rope around her neck there was no way that I could have forced her. So I just relaxed for a second and then I presented my desire for her to move again with only the rope around her neck. Here is what happened. I realized that I can not ask a horse because "asking" is something that a horse does not understand. I can only present my intent to them through the feel that I give through my touch, be it direct or indirect. Lila then obeyed me for only one reason, she wanted to receive the feel that I was giving to her and my feel was something that she saw as helping her and giving her security and peace. Does this make sense? So what can I give any horse? I can only give a feel and that feel must be something that brings the horse peace in its heart. This is a whole new concept for me. I must think about this. But this concept of feel is what will help Lyle. This is what Bill Dorrance talks about in his book, "True Horsemanship Through Feel." Lots to think about here. I will let you know how "feel" works for Lyle. But the real question for me is: what kind of "feel" am I presenting to my horses?

Thank you,

Penny Johnson

Kootenai Curly Horses Bonners Ferry, Idaho

No comments:

Post a Comment