Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Lyle and the Right Question



Dear Reader,

If you do not ask the right question, you will not find the right answer. Lyle has finally forced me to finally ask the right question. Lyle has wanted me to show him that there is something good for him and something that he , as a horse, wants from yielding to the bosal. The question is real simple. It just took me six weeks to stumble on the this simple question.

So here is want we did. I started riding Lyle into places here in the barn yard where I knew that he would not want to go. But the instant that Lyle expressed his uncertainty, yet before that uncertainty could be expressed by his action, I would ask for a yield. Not a turn, but a forward face yield. A turn would have resulted in Lyle running away. But a front yield to the bosal would allow him to express his unsureness. It would also be an act of submission on Lyle's part and it would bring his attention back to me, his rider. Here are some pictures to try and explain.

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post Penny, it is somehow for me an eye opener and got me thinking about how to ask the things I want my horses to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, Thank You! Your encouragement is real food for my spirit and it helps me to continue to work. It says to me, "Don't get discouraged. Work and Hope." Those words are enough for any human being.
    Penny Johnson
    Kootenai Curly Horses
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete