Monday, September 26, 2011

New Eyes, Soft Heart...Cherish Every Moment.

This past summer has been dedicated to getting to know our new curly gelding, Bear. So Reese has sort of taken a back seat for a bit. At first he wasn't so happy about that...even nipping at Bear's bum as I lead him out of the corral! I swear Reese has such enthusiasm for being with his human and being ridden!

As fall approaches, it's time to get Reese back to work. As many of you know, I have owned Reese for a LONG time...buying him just freshly started under saddle as a 3 year old. He turned 10 this summer. Training him myself has been a huge learning curve for me but not in the way you might think. It's been a journey of self evaluation, lessons on pride & humility; patience and timing; and most of all forgiveness and trust. I believe when we truly desire to be all God wants us to be, he puts people, animals and circumstances in our life to challenge us, grow us and teach us. Who would have thought a big 1,200 lb lab dog could teach such amazing life lessons! =]

Two years ago, I felt Reese and I had come to a huge standstill in our partnership. Inspite of everything we had done, (thousands of miles on the trails, parades, expos, clinics, shows, endurance, extreme cowboy events, etc) something was missing! I realized sometimes we can go through the motions of "doing" things, all the while missing something far more important....the respect, trust and unity of a deeper partnership. We had parts of that, but not completely. I would understand it more as time went on.

With the advice of Misty in WA., I started taking my training to a new level. Starting with the basics, from the ground up. I was fearful & hesitant...could I do this?? As a fellow Christian, she suggested I begin each training session/ride with prayer and asking God for wisdom. One day as I was working with Reese, this phrase came to my mind instantly, "New Eyes, Soft Heart and Cherish Every Moment." It was so profound for me! All this time, I was focused on the goal, the next show, the next CTR, the next ? Promoting, promoting....promoting! I was blind and driven! Missing vital steps in my partnership and rarely 'considering the horse', Reese. Thank heaven for his kind, gentle and laid back manner!!

With this revelation, I went forward building a NEW foundation, not built on "performance" although that came with it, but on the respect, trust and love. I started slowing down...putting love, respect and trust into every single thing I did with him. From feeding time, grooming, ground work and riding. Many times the old habits would resurface and I'd have to humble myself and set my new pace again. I started to live my life in the "process", the "journey" with the goal being a deeper understanding of Reese. (not some event or training accomplishment)

Our time together began to blossom. Reese became more content & happy. The biggest delight was that his focus was now on me as his leader and that felt amazing. There is NO finer gift than when a horse submits to your leadership. For me, it was the most humbling moment of my horse career. This 1,200 lb animal says I am worthy to be trusted. I am worthy to lead him. Wow. I remember riding him one day, feeling this incredible connection and I looked up in the sky and thought....wow, so THIS is what it feels like when you invite God into your relationship with your horse. =] I Praise him for that!

Having said all of that, I had to share a video that was inspired by Betsy Lirakis and followed by my good friend, Susan Lejonhud. This is not a performance. For me, this is a small reward of our developing connection which we continue to build on every day. I've learned too that it's a daily process and there are set backs too. =] When I saw Betsy and Susan doing this with their horses, I couldn't imagine ever doing that with Reese. What I love most about this video is how Reese's ears are constantly flipping back at me...staying in tune to what I am asking. It's just another step in our journey.

11 comments:

  1. This is wonderful Denise!! I will have to be sure Misty reads this, I am sure she will be very happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    Thank you because what you wrote gives me courage and hope. May God bless you and Reese always.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise, wow, great post. I echo Janeen's sentiments. As you know, you have inspired me as well, and although we have each learned different life lessons from our horses, our journeys are so similar it is eerie. Your love for Reese shines through in this post, and I know exactly how you feel because I feel the same way about mine! I have had quite a few opportunities to ride other horses this year, and even though a few of these horses were darn near perfect, they don't hold a candle next to my Ah-D. -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely, Dennise, thanks for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glowing for you Denise... big smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your comments brought such a smile to my face. Thank you all so much. You are such encouragement to me in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How happy I am that you have found that! It is like a sweet spot on a horse where you itch. You get to know them and they you. I know that connection, and it is the best feeling in the world! How you ride with God and bring him with you, is the greatest thing. When we are out, I thank him for the beautiful sites he has created just for us. Enjoy your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Post! Thanks for sharing your "revelation". You always inspire and encourage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As you know I bought Johnny Walker Gold from Claudia Duncan and in the short time I have had him, I have been so fortunate to experience glimpses of pure connection. Life altering! In my mind his name was always Spirit, and now I know why. When we are on "horse time" and are absolutely 100% pure in presence and intention, it makes all the difference. He lets me know when I slip, let me tell you! And I wouldn't have it any other way, what a gift.

    ReplyDelete