Friday, September 16, 2011

Lyle in the Real World!



Dear Reader,

Today Lyle and I did our first real ride in open country. Before we left the ranch we practiced turning and then we left and went into the big open meadow/hay field across the road.

Because it is always harder to re-train after bad training, things did get a little "western." Lyle reverted to his old learned behavior of trying to run away and of resisting the bridle. However, he always let me control him by turning him or by cuing him to cross his front legs. At the end we came back on a loose rein. Lyle and I will soon be in the school of "wet saddle blankets."

The bosal that I am using is built around a soft cotton rope core. This is the only piece of bridle tack that Lyle has been willing to accept after he came back from his bad training experience. I really like the way this bosal works. Please note that I have removed the theodore. This allows the bosal to have better lift and a better release for Lyle.

Enjoy the pictures.

Sincerely,

Penny Johnson

Kootenai Curly Horses

Bonners Ferry, Idaho

3 comments: