Sunday, September 25, 2011

Riderless Return

Before you take that the wrong way, it was a voluntary riderless return. I put a new cinch on my saddle and it was not working right for us today. It was bothering Linus so rather than make him put up with it, I walked back from the nice trail ride we were having. Once we got back I made the necessary changes and we're all set to go next time! I did try it briefly last week but as we got into the ride he just found it too uncomfortable.
I even found an old camera that I can bring along on our adventures too. I just need to get a good clip for it so it doesn't come off the saddle.
Linus was pretty full of himself today. I wasn't really surprised since we both prefer this nice fall weather. It's nice to feel a bit of a spring in his step. He was happy to lead or follow today and did a bit of both. We went up a powerline trail that has recently been cleared and is still being worked on. It's really too bad it wasn't still obstacle challenge month because we had to go by a large excavator, bulldozer and backhoe. I let Linus take a good look and hoped he would investigate them more than he did but he wasn't bothered at all by them. Good stuff I guess! But it was about this time last year I let him investigate a transport that was idling and waiting for a load of corn.
So, even though I chose to walk back, we still had a great outing. I loosened his saddle so it was no longer bothering him and maybe as a way of saying thanks, he walked back with his head low and kept nuzzling me. It was actually nice even though I wasn't riding him....but I always did love to just take him for long walks...maybe he was reminiscing?



Here is a picture I forgot to put up last week. I always let him sniff the rig before I hook him up. It's good for him to know what I am about to do and he also won't let me hitch him unless I do show it to him for a sniff first. Almost like he's making sure I haven't had another horse in HIS cart since the last time he pulled it. Whatever the reason, he stands still for me to hitch him once he has had a nip at it.
Happy Trails! (make sure your boots are comfy in case you walk back!! I have a blister proving its a worthwhile tip!)
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, ON

3 comments:

  1. Donna, like you I believe he was saying, "Thank You!"
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna, you are such a smart lady to walk! And yes, I did get a jolt when I read the title, so thanks. I like the sniffing picture. Ah-D always wants to sniff the saddle before I tack up. It is a habit with us, the saddle goes to his nose before I place it on his back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me thinking what happened now...I am just glad all is well and you where nice to do that for Linus. I know that Larry can't use the neoprene cinches we had got him a wool one and still had to cover it with sheepskin and use desitin so he doesn't get those cinch sores. He is so thin skinned. That is so cute how he has to check out 'his' stuff :)

    ReplyDelete