Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A nice long ride with Suri

It was a while since I had a nice longer ride with Suri but on monday me and a friend went for a long ride through the park and woods behind the castle in our town. It was quite windy and had been raining all day but in the evening the sun came out and we surprisingly had quite nice weather! The horses are great riding together beacuse they have almost the same speed of walking. I was at the field early so I also had time for a longer grooming session and Suri enjoyed that! We rode until it was almost getting dark out. Unfortunately it is really getting dark earlier in the evening. I will have to invest in some lights and reflective gear!
Suri still behaves hard to catch in the field (this is new since the last two weeks) but I have been spending more time with her in the field working on trust. I halter her and just lead her around in the field a bit. I think she is just playing games but it always worries me the possibility that she is not enjoying the work. I hope it is just a phase. I am trying to motivate Suri to follow me now in the field also without a halter. Voelie really loves this and sticks with me but Suri is more inclined to look up and then start eating grass again:) Any tips/ advise on this are more then welcome!

2 comments:

  1. My Haflinger had a bad case of "human avoidence" when he first came to live with us, but walks through the field with treats (and no horse agenda) worked to turn him around. Now, if he hears us walking through the pastures, he comes right over. It really helped to have Ah-D set the friendly example, too. By walks, I mean just walking with the dogs through the pastures, not making Al do anything but come over to greet me if he wanted a treat. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Susan. With Suri it is quite sudden as if she just decided not to come over (she did before!) and now to run when she sees her halter. When she is out she seems to really enjoy everything and is extremely easy to handle and is in for everything. I am indeed spenidng more time now just walking in for treats and petting without taking her out of the field. I have the feeling she does not want to leave or be separated from Voelie because when I take Voelie out first she cant wait to have her halter on and be taken out too.

    ReplyDelete