Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Let's Play Ball!

I finally replaced our previous ball and this one is bigger and better. Linus hasn't played with a ball other than his stable-type ball, since the mini-challenge. It was awesome to see how eager he was to play with it again. I brought it home last Friday and boy did we have fun! He got right into it and we kicked it around and had a blast. When the novelty had worn off a bit for him I bounced the ball off of his sides, rolled it under his belly and then rolled all over him. He just stood there looking kind of bored.
I love this picture. I rolled the ball all the way up his head and down his face but he was more interested in the fact that Stu (taking the picture) might have a treat for him!

bounce, bounce, bounce

I should have cropped this one. It's kind of a cool eye-to-eye picture.


This is a great shot to show his kind face and eye...such a handsome boy!

I think I already blogged about the last ride Dad and I had. I rode Linus for about 10 minutes a couple of nights ago. I made a modification to the bitless bridle which changed it to how the Australian version is made and it made a huge difference with Linus. I hadn't used the bitless for some time with him because a friend was trying it out and because Linus had started to push through it. We've been working on that and things were much better. I also had a new girth strap to fit to my saddle so it was a perfect chance to get everything adjusted and ready to go. I wanted to do it when I didn't have Allie and Dad waiting to leave for a ride.
Tonight worked perfect for me to hitch Linus and have a nice evening drive. He was a little antsy at first because he thought he was getting grain but once I finished grooming him he stood to be harnessed like a good boy. He didn't flinch when I put the cart on.. I really love the sulky-type road cart that I got. It's so easy to hitch when I'm alone. I walked behind him at first because I had made some adjustments to the harness and wanted to make sure all was comfortable for him. I usually tie Allie but I didn't tonight and boy did she put on a performance. Prancing with her tail in the air and then galloping all over the place. I had to make a harness adjustment and stood with Linus at his head for a minute to make sure he was calm with all that was going on and I was so proud of him. He stood like a pro for me to make adjustments while she was putting on her show. I was so happy that he listened to me and didn't get excited and hard to handle. I let him do a bit of trotting tonight too. I really have to try to get that on video...what a big, beautiful trot he has! He throws his head up and puffs himself up like a proud peacock and off he floats. I'm going to have to get someone else to trot him so I can watch! It's so awesome. I know alot of you trot, canter, gallop etc. all the time so be patient with me please! : ) Linus is young and I only just started letting him trot because the cart he's pulling is so light and even then he doesn't get to go far. So it really is a thrill for me.
Afterwards he got big hugs, lots of praise and kind words. I could not have asked or wished for a better equine partner!!!
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, ON Canada

oh, almost forgot...our photos are finally up for voting in a contest we entered. Please feel free to vote!! Here are the pictures we submitted:
to vote go to www.horsejournals.com click on Contests and click on the Photo Contest box.
category 2A photo 81
category 2B photo 72
category 2C photo 53

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful DONNA and Linus ... Thanks for sharing :) I love the work with the ball!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving how Linus ignores Allie! He is so well trained and cooperative. Good job, Donna! Looks like he likes the attention when you play ball with him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a lovely big ball and I just love how Linus does not seem to mind it at all! He looks so cool in the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That ball looks familar :) We went and got the same one and the horses just have so much fun with it. And from reading the post you 2 have a blast! Linus is just an easy going guy, you really took your time with him and it paid off. I liked the story pictures too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dana do you ever worry about them bending a leg over the ball the wrong way? I thought it would be bigger than what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, not till you said that! But I do have a video of them showing horses acctually laying on it practically an nothing really seems to happen other than they have fun with it. I guess too because Marley just likes to kick it.

    ReplyDelete